'The Flying Scotsman 4472'

nowtelse2do

This is a bit early, so one for your diary if you are a railway buff.

Our local paper report's that the 'Flying Scotsman' will undergo testing and trials on the East Lancashire Railway when it's six year £250,000 overhaul is finally completed by next summer (2011) It should have been spring but the overhaul is running late due to some serious issues with the restoration. The ELR said an agreement has been reached by the firms managing director Ian Riley and the National Railway Museum at York to do tests on the railway.

The reason I'm putting this thread up now, is that the CC have a site at Bury, Lancs, (Burr's Country Park) next to the ELR track, so you will get a good seat if this is your thing, although it's a while off yet, It is expected to attract a lot of visitors.

Dave

I would like to put to paper (or screen) that at least the "The Flying Scotsman" has got nostalgia value like all the other old steamies whereas the "NEW" Tornado has zilch.

The Tornado is a new Loco with advanced lubricating systems and the like to aid reliability but as to old drivers having driven her, old pics of her steaming up inclines, memories, there's none.

The advent of Tornado and its capitalisation of tours means less of the old ones will be seen on the mainline.

Sad ain't it !!!!!

Many Regards,

Gordon...

When W.H.Allens closed some years back they handed out tools of 'low' value to local charities, whilst the company I work for is not a charity because of the customers we have and the work we do on rotary engines we where in line for some, the flying scotsman team beat me to a pallet load I had my eye on :-(

• 1 year later...

I believe that the ELR are now testing the F/S after it's boiler was restored by Riley's Engineering of Bury and the engine has been restored. I also heard that it is painted in it's wartime colours of black but will revert to green later. To make sure if these details are correct and you are interested I suggest you ring East Lancashire Railways.

Dave

Archived