Mobile Dongles....again

Keith T

We are about to renew/upgrade out contract for the '3' dongle, and am looking to go to the wifi version.

There have been a number of postings that on renewing a dicount has been given (50%?) on the line rental, but having asked in the local store, and today spoken to Customer Services, this does not appear to be the case now, unless you also have a standard mobile phone contract with them, whcih I don't!

Anyone have any experiencee of getting this discount, and if so,doyou also have their mobile phone, and/or how recently did you get the new contract for the dongle?

Also has the wifi version been as successful as the 'plug in/ USB based dongle?

Thanks for your help...will probably go to the local store if no benefit if dealing direct with Customer Srvices!

i bought the wifi dongle last month from argos, and i found it to be a nightmare. the wifi gives you freedom around the house, but the lights on the dongle are confusing, and you do have 2 connections to cater for (signal to dongle, dongle to computer). didnt like it >:-)

i returned it the store and got the usb dongle for £19.99,on the rolling contract (select 1g or 3g which last for a month, but when it runs out you just renew for another month).

it has been perfect.

hsvent signed aany contract, nor got a 3 phone.

Keith T - 2010-03-15 8:25 PM

We are about to renew/upgrade out contract for the '3' dongle, and am looking to go to the wifi version.

There have been a number of postings that on renewing a dicount has been given (50%?) on the line rental, but having asked in the local store, and today spoken to Customer Services, this does not appear to be the case now, unless you also have a standard mobile phone contract with them, whcih I don't!

Anyone have any experiencee of getting this discount, and if so,doyou also have their mobile phone, and/or how recently did you get the new contract for the dongle?

Also has the wifi version been as successful as the 'plug in/ USB based dongle?

Thanks for your help...will probably go to the local store if no benefit if dealing direct with Customer Srvices!

Hi Keith

We have 2 mobile phones with Three as well as a broadband contract. When we renewed out broadband contract I mentioned about us also having the phones but it didn't make any difference. The 50% discount was applicable as we were existing broadband customers - once we had been with them for the initial contract period (in our case 18 months), we were automatically entitled to the 50% discount on future contracts.

I had a bit of fun and games as the original contract terms were no longer available (7gb) so I had to change to a different contract (5gb) and then got them to give me it at 50%, rather than have to wait and then ring up and change it, I had to speak to a supervisor to get this as they normal contract people didn't know how to do it. Sometimes the people on the endof the phone don't know all the ins and outs so it would probably be a good idea to ring again and speak to someone else to see if they tell you differently. The only difference I can see though is if you're after the Mifi dongle rather than the standard dongle which we initially got. We had to buy the Mifi dongle ourselves as at the time of our renewing our contract, it wasn't available on contract.

Don't bother with the shop though, they don't know about the deals at the head office!

They initially refused to give me the discount, so I asked for the Cancellations department. When put through, they instantly offered a 5 pound per month discount. I stuck to my guns, and refused...after "speaking to the Supervisor", they gave me three months free, and the rest at half price B-) You have to be prepared to push......

In August 08 I entered a contract with 3 for broadband - free dongle and £7.50 month (special offer) for 5GB. Had to pay £1.99 (which they refunded!) for a PAYG card which I have never used although I had to register it. In January 2010 I sent an email asking whether my contract was for 18 or 24 months. Reply indicated 18 to finish early February but I was entitled to a discount and another dongle. Chose the Mifi which I did not find anywhere near as good as my old dongle in a 3 router so I returned it. This involved several phone calls, all to different operators, who all said I was entitled to a 50% discount ( I knew this already from MelB). They were going to charge an extra £2 month for the Mifi but I have gone back to £7.50 month (obviously already discounted by 50%) and told that if I want to choose another updated dongle I can do so.

The only info I can get from Customer Services at 3, is there is no current discount for renewing a contract for a DOngle......apparantly was available in Jan/Feb, but despite my fiiling in the 'form' asking about upgrade on /my three/ website, they never came back, and also though I queried the possibilities by phone and in the shop, nothing was offered.

SO its stay with the dongle I have ( now not on a long term contract, but just month at a time), and keep an eye open for future offers, I guess.

Archived