Motorhome through France

peter21

Hi

We are taking our Rapido motorhome through France shortly, for the first time. We are starting at Dunkirk, then heading to Dieppe (first night), then on via Le Mans towards La Rochelle, Bordeaux and the South of France. We would like some advice please on the French tolls...which roads are tolled and how much in general terms do they charge....so we can plan the best route.

It also seems that the diesel costs are a lot higher on the French motorways than on the smaller roads?....anyone been there recently?

Thanks in advance

Peter

The big supermarkets are usually a good place to get your fuel, a bit like here. I have a Garmin Satnav and that has fuel stops and the supplier already programmed in, probably Tom Tom has the same feature, this make fuel finding relatively easy.

One thing to do before you go is to go to a weighbridge to check your vans weight, as the French are apparently getting a bit hot with roadside checks. I am off to France in 2 weeks and my van was 150 Kg over its 3500Kg.

Try www.autoroutes.fr for comprehensive info. (clicking on the union flag on the home page will give you the English version).

You can route plan on this site, and it will give you toll prices.

Be aware that you are likely to be Class2 or Class 3 for charges depending on vehicle size (the categories are explained on the website, and can be altered on the route planning to give you the correct cost), which means long distance use is not cheap.

Personally, I find the Michelin road atlas useful for overall planning, as the non-toll motorways have mileages on them in a different colour, that helps to distinguish them.

Unless you really are in a hurry, I would suggest you avoid the motorways and enjoy rural France as part of the holiday - IMO, much more enjoyable, but some bits can be quite slow.

Fuel is usually significantly cheaper in the supermarkets than on the Autoroutes, but sometimes access can be difficult (height barriers, narrow lanes/entrances), and beware the 'card only' pumps, though an increasing number appear to be taking UK cards, it is still uncommon.

Peter

The simplest way to identify the autoroutes (or sections of autoroute) that are toll (or toll-free) is via the 'Route Planner' map of a 2010 AA road atlas of France (or the French-published IGN equivalent.) as toll autoroutes are shown in purple and toll-free ones in light blue.

The definitive website is www.autoroutes.fr and I think you should be able to obtain toll-charges for each autoroute section if you dig deep enough into that site. (I used to be able to do it, but I haven't tried recently and I note that the instructions I provided in older forum threads no longer work). Motorhomes (except really large ones) are usually charged Class 2 tolls.

As you rightly say, fuel prices on autoroutes tend to be expensive - just like on UK motorways. Obtain your fuel at large French supermarkets if you can.

(If you search the forum, setting Keywords/Filter by author/Date limit to, respectively, autoroute/Derek Uzzell/All posts or tolls/Derek Uzzell/All posts you should retrieve earlier stuff that may be useful.)

French motorway tolls have gone up again recently and with the poor exchange rate they are now expensive although the roads are excellent and you can really clock up the kilometers if you need to.

You will be charged Class2 the height is checked by camera when you enter the toll booth. you can pay by cash or any card. A lot of toll booths are now unmanned so you have to use the machine which is straight forward although the the slots to put your ticket and card in do not suit the window height of motor homes they are either to high or to low so be prepared to do accrobatics or get out and use it.

I recently used the motorway from Nantes to Bordeaux A83 and A10 cost 50.20 Euro distance 313 kmtr.

Fuel is 1.09Euro at superU today it is more expensive on the motorways so good idea to fill up before.

The N roads are good where they have been upgraded but if not a dual carriageway can be frustrating if stuck behind a large truck, as overtaking being RHD can be difficult especially when the truck has a massive trailer on tow!

Watch the speed limits all towns and villages are a strict 50kph unless they have a higher speed usually 70kmtr sign. instant 90euro fine if stopped and your speed is between 54kph and 100kph

enjoyable uncongested motoring exept near large towns and cities.

enjoy your trip

Geoff

Basil - 2010-03-16 6:32 PM

Hi, we have traversed the route you are taking on many occasions and have never paid a Toll. You are far better to use the RN's and the free parts of the motorways that are on that route.

Bas

Totally agree. Just set the TomTom for 'fastest route', 'always avoid tolls'.

For a Class 2 motorhome, it literally doubles the cost of travelling

We too use tomtom fastest routes avoiding toll roads and in the last 3 years having done 12 trips or more all over France we have only paid for toll road once and that was to cross the Millau Viaduct. We are never in a hurry , but I agree if you need to blast along because time is short then the toll roads are a must , but expensive.

If you buy an AA road atlas ., you will find the peage / toll roads are clearly marked in a different colour to non toll roads

The michelin map gives a LOT of detail but sorting the toll roads is a bit of a problem in poor light.

rgds

Edit

Next time I will read the WHOLE thread *-)

As an indication of the high cost of using the toll roads through France, the latest issue of "le Monde du Camping Car", in its editorial, shows that for the journey between Paris and Ma**eille is €83.20 using the toll roads A6 and A7 (including fuel @ €1.21/litre) and €82 if using the TGV in 2nd class, and the train gets you there in 3h15min. The only time I will use the autoroutes is if the section is free or I am really in a serious hurry (not very often).

J

Archived