Mice !!!

Blodwen

How do we stop mice coming into our Duetto autosleeper ? got in there the other day & it looks as though theyve had a party 4 pillows destroyed along with 2 Bath sheets the little B------!!!!! They are also fully awarewhat a mouse trap is for ! The said goods were in the cupboard above the cab =which was shut = how on earth they got in I just do not know !

Guest Tracker

May well be via the inbuilt ventilation and/or gas drop holes that makers kindly make in the floor these days.

They should be covered by a gauze or plastic grille but sometimes are not. Another source could be where water, waste, gas, electric cables and pipes go through the floor and these can be sealed with silicone or decorators filler or any other kind of mastic that you have at hand - as long as mice don't like the taste of it!

Missing engine bay bulkhead grommets are another source as are faulty or missing door rubber seals or doors not shutting properly.

I don't think mice can operate door handles so leaving it unlocked should not make any difference!

I have had the same problem. My neighbours like to put down seed for the birds and attract the mice. I laid traps inside the van and outside and they had no effect. I was advised to bait the traps with chocolate and it works so far over this winter they have not got into the van Just 6 in the traps

Since they are mice and not bats, have a look at what is in contact with the ground, since that is where they must start.  Tyres, possibly a power cable, possibly nearby vegetation.  Since you found them in a closed, high level cupboard above the cab, it seems that may be as far as they got.  On that basis, tyres, driveshafts, engine bay, hollow windscreen "A" pillars or internal plastic trims, remaining roof trim above driver/passenger seats, and into cupboard by any available chink.  If you can find the route, probably the best way to block it will be some fine stainless steel (so it doesn't rust) mesh screwed up and jammed into the gap.  That way, you don't block and designed in ventilation paths.  However, since vans absorb atmospheric moisture inside, it is probably better to take everything out over the winter, unless it is in use all year round.

Mice can get almost anywhere and they will come inside as winter approaches, as mentioned if you can poke a pencil through then mice will get in, I've found poison quite effective but be sure any pets (especially cats & dogs) can not get to it. One piece of advice is that there will always be more than one, so if you catch one in a trap leave it out 'cos there will be more.

Mel B - 2010-03-18 5:48 PMRats ... wait until you've got rats running around in your attic on a night time and knawing at the rafters keeping you awake ... then you KNOW you have a problem!!!! 8-)

Been there had that, now leave bait permanently in the greenhouse, try to get them before they come indoors nothing worse than the smell of a dead rat under the floorboards.

Losos - 2010-03-18 5:54 PM

Mice can get almost anywhere and they will come inside as winter approaches, as mentioned if you can poke a pencil through then mice will get in, I've found poison quite effective but be sure any pets (especially cats & dogs) can not get to it. One piece of advice is that there will always be more than one, so if you catch one in a trap leave it out 'cos there will be more.

To add to this - if you use poison make sure the dog or cat cannot get at the poisoned mice either!

We've currently got a rat living in the garden under the pond filter box ... can't use poison because we can't stop the dogs getting it if it comes out before it dies ... must get the 'humane' rat trap out and buy some bananas ... rats LOVE bananas!!!

Guest Tracker
Mel B - 2010-03-18 5:48 PM

Rats ... wait until you've got rats running around in your attic on a night time and knawing at the rafters keeping you awake ... then you KNOW you have a problem!!!! 8-)

Rats and bats - bah humbug - wait until you have Meerkats running around your bedroom - then you will know that something is not quite right! Simples!

Mice!  Tell me about it ............. in the winter we get mice in the attic, the shed, the greenhouse and under the bonnets of both the car and the MH!  We put bait in the attic and traps in the other places.  I can suffer the garden tools with the handles chewed off but they have chewed the eggcrate insulation beneath the bonnet in the car and the insulation round the aircon pipes. 

Don't like killing any wild animals but when it comes to them costing us a small fortune they leave us with little choice.  Why don't they just keep to their own patch of 20 acres or so of fields surrounding our place? lol

Try to avoid bait in the house the little buggers crawl of under the floor boards somewhere to die & get their own back for the next 6 months.

Likewise why to they want to to come into our tatty old house when they have all those lovely fields next door.

Yes, had that problem,they made a nest on top of the water pump under the sink, Boy! did the van Pong! I thought a tramp had broken in and urinated everywhere, took weeks to clear the smell away completely.

I now use 2 of the 'Plug in' high freqency 'Screamers' havn't been bothered since. Problem now is in the garden, a brown Rat seems to be looking for a place for a nest, at first we just called him 'Mr Brown' (have you seen Mr Brown in the garden today dear ?) now we refer to him as 'Gordon' ( a bloody nuisance who we wish would just 'Go away').

He steps nimbly over the set Rat trap, and ignores Raisins/soft cheese/chocolate in it . BUT Bananas ! I havn't tried them, must get a bigger trap incase we attract the Orang-Outans from the nearby woods.

Ray

PS It definately is a brown rat and not a 'Siberian Filligree Hamster' called Basil.

Do like Ray sez, plug in those high frequency rodent chasers, I have them everywhere except the garden shed and that is the only place I have mice. The biggest one is in the attic, I also have a small one by the kitchen bin in thhe house as they also keep flies away. The worst thing I had in the van was an adder under the bonnet. I must have roasted the poor bugger when I drove off, because it was quite a while before I found it by the smell of rotting flesh. I'm glad I did not dip the oil before driving off or it may have found me first.

Archived