Plumbing problems

boxer1

I have a 1998 Autotrail. At the end of the summer I noticed that the water at the kitchen tap was running very slow and low pressure. I drained down for the winter and the other day I filled the system up to check if all was ok for the new season. The kitchen sink tap is running at just a trickle, the pump is on and then it switches off even though the tap is fully open?. There is plenty of pressure in the bathroom tap.

I have read the Motorhome Manual by John Wickersham on the system in my van. A bit confused but I can say for certain that the pump is a Shurflo. Not certain how it is switched but I have checked the taps which are 2 in 1 mixer taps and there are no wires coming from them and as far as I can see there are no switches inside the taps, no sensitive pressure switch on the line. I therefore presume that the switch is operated at the pump?. I have cleaned the filter at the pump. Could there be dirt in the system. I have also checked and can find no leakes or damage to the pipes. Any suggestions, thanks.

Boxer 1

Guest Tracker

Are there any kinks in the hose runs anywhere?

Somewhere hidden for example or where it turns through a bulkhead or summat?

Can I presume that the flow is the same whether turned to hot or cold?

If so, and as the washroom one works OK, it may well be the tap itself - can you get it apart - or even switch the two taps over for a definitive answer!

Can you blow back down the pipe, although a non return may well prevent this it is worth a try as it costs nowt.

Disconnecting the hoses somewher below the tap should allow you to blow back through them to determine if it is the tap?

As the washroom tap is OK it suggests that it is not a battery or wiring issue?

I checked the line and could find no kinks or damage.

Presure is the same hot or cold.

I will try and disconnect at the tap and pump and put the air line to it. To put air through the tap would it damage it.

Thanks for all the replies

Boxer 1

This wont be the answer to your problem but when I filled and tried our water system yesterday the pressure was low and there was a lot of air in the system. The problem was that I had left the main water drain tap open and some dirt must have got in and prevented it sealing properly. The result was a very small leak of just a drop or two at a time. Problem was that the way our Rapido is plumbed this allowed air to be sucked in when the pump was running. I will eventually have to clean or replace the tap but it is difficult to get to so for now I've blocked the outlet pipe with a suitable size bolt and it has cured the problem.

Hope this helps anyone with the same problem.

Guest Tracker
If the washroom tap works OK it can only be from where the kitchen taps 'T' from the pipes, or the tap itself, or it's input connections - and following the information supplied I would strongly suspect the valves in the body of the tap itself as my first 'get it off and get it apart' investigation.

The most likely cause is a build up of crud in the kitchen tap, I see it regularly. First off turn off the pump then remove and clean the particle filter on the pump. Next you will probably need to remove the kitchen tap and strip it down, don't panic its not as bad as it sounds. Depending on make there will be a fixing screw on the monolever, either beneath the red/blue marker or under the front of the lever. Once this is undone you can lift off the lever which will expose a large brass (usually) nut. unscrew this nut carefully and you can then lift the tap body away, inside the body will be the tap cartridge which can be pulled out for cleaning. I'd suggest you clean the spout with hot vinegar, simply boil some water and pour it into a bowl, add a couple of tablespoons of vinegar, pretty much any type will do. Place the tap spout in the bowl and leave it to soak for a while, rinse it out with cold water and repeat this process until it runs freely.

Reassembly of the tap is a direct reversal of the strip down procedure.

D.

Thanks Dave I took of the ring at the spout and found the gause in it to be blocked with a fine grit as you would get in a kettle. Blew it out with an air line and bobs your uncle full pressure again.

I thank all those who replied to my request for help.

Archived