letters in mmm

tazdog6007

Guest Tracker

Agreed - so why don't we all send our own versions of nice juicy meaningless, uncrontoversial, safe to publish, uninteresting, boring, pointless epistles so at least then the crap would be our own?

Added to pages of site reviews of listed and club sites making yet more pages pointless - surely to heaven everyone knows that club sites are good - well mostly?

The adverts and techy stuff are the best reads and fortunately there are many pages of adverts to read - mostly with the warm familiarity of a comfortable pair of slippers that remain the same month in month out!

So why do we buy the wretched magazine?

Is it fear of maybe missing something?

Is it simply habit?

Do we love Warnes so much that we feel the moral need to support them?

Or is it something completely different?

Answers please on the back of a £10 note to the usual address.

I have to agree with Tracker.

The mag, of late, has become boring.

I've always felt the the site reviews should omit those of the clubs as they are likely to be biased.

I'm also brassed off with the touring articles which recently have tackled Dorset & Devon seemingly ad nauseum. I'm pretty sure that there isn't an ant still standing which hasn't been included in at least one of the many snaps in the articles.

What's the answer? I don't know but seriously thinking about dropping the subscription and buying only those issues that have something we want.

I believe it has got far worse since the new editors took over and is steadily going downhill, with a couple of exceptions. Seriously considering dropping my subscription, I have considered it before but thought I would give it a chance to improve, but to me it is really becoming drivel.

Bas

a neighbour lent me a copy from 2007 and flicking through it was no different to the current issues.

Format , content and even adverts still all look the same.

I'm relatively new back to MHing but within a couple of issues found all the hard copy stuff I needed , forums like this have been a greater source of help to be honest.

That said , its nice to have a something to read when 'nature' calls. Cant quite get away with the laptop in the smallest room!!!!

Don't blame the editors. With a subject as narrow as Motorhomes there is no way the magazine can be packed with 100% interesting stuff. We only tour in the UK so I simply don't read the longer bits on foreign travel. Also bear in mind that all similar relatively low volume magazines have to be produced with a low staffing level and rely heavily on external contributors and readers letters etc.

MMM does contain some information I like to read and some that has in the past been invaluable. When we were looking for our first Motorhome it was invaluable in helping us to choose to such good effect we still that same Motorhome. It was in it's pages I first became aware of the Fiat judder problems and that alone must have been worth a few years subs.

I still find a lot of the content useful and informative and that includes the adverts and buyers guide.

Those ready to knock the magazine and the editors should bear in mind that the probable only other alternative would be no magazine at all and in my mind if that ever happened it would be a great loss to all of us and especially those about to take up the hobby.

Tracker - 2010-03-25 11:36 AM

Agreed - so why don't we all send our own versions of nice juicy meaningless, uncrontoversial, safe to publish, uninteresting, boring, pointless epistles so at least then the crap would be our own?

Added to pages of site reviews of listed and club sites making yet more pages pointless - surely to heaven everyone knows that club sites are good - well mostly?

The adverts and techy stuff are the best reads and fortunately there are many pages of adverts to read - mostly with the warm familiarity of a comfortable pair of slippers that remain the same month in month out!

So why do we buy the wretched magazine?

Is it fear of maybe missing something?

Is it simply habit?

Do we love Warnes so much that we feel the moral need to support them?

Or is it something completely different?

Answers please on the back of a £10 note to the usual address.

Well why not try making some interesting and informative contributions then. The editors would love it and they may even pay you for your efforts! My old granny always used to say if you don't like something try and help put it right.

Repeating here what I said on another thread.

When you read touring articles in MM or PC the writers always stay at expensive full facility sites probably as their bosses are paying & it's not coming out of their own pockets.

Reviews are nearly always on these type of sites, will they ever realise that most of us rarely stay at this type of site or pay that sort of money for a site.

Guest Tracker
Colin Leake - 2010-03-25 5:23 PM

Well why not try making some interesting and informative contributions then. The editors would love it and they may even pay you for your efforts! My old granny always used to say if you don't like something try and help put it right.

Fair comment Colin. I have had several letters and emails published over the years but just as find anyone else's site and touring experiences mind numbingly boring I am sure they would find mine just as mind numbingly boring!

I don't have enough accurate techy expertise to write authoritatively, I only rarely use sites and only then for one night at a time and I don't have enough journalistic talent to be able to write entertaining articles about things, like sites, that don't really entertain me - so what else is there that I could contribute?

That's my excuse - what's yours - and everyone else's?

lennyhb - 2010-03-25 5:25 PM

When you read touring articles in MM or PC the writers always stay at expensive full facility sites probably as their bosses are paying & it's not coming out of their own pockets.

Reviews are nearly always on these type of sites, will they ever realise that most of us rarely stay at this type of site or pay that sort of money for a site.

When you say most of us rarely stay at this type of site, who exactly are you referring to as 'US' *-)

Tracker - 2010-03-25 5:34 PM

Colin Leake - 2010-03-25 5:23 PM

Fair comment Colin. I have had several letters and emails published over the years but just as find anyone else's site and touring experiences mind numbingly boring I am sure they would find mine just as mind numbingly boring!

I don't have enough accurate techy expertise to write authoritatively, I only rarely use sites and only then for one night at a time and I don't have enough journalistic talent to be able to write entertaining articles about things, like sites, that don't really entertain me - so what else is there that I could contribute?

That's my excuse - what's yours - and everyone else's?

Check and you will see that I have had many letters (often daft I'll grant you) published and there are some more (even more deranged) in the pipe line so I don't need and excuse as I do do my best to contribute.

I like MMM or any other motorhome/caravanning magazine. I can always find something worth reading and I usually learn a bit from the touring reviews and the technical advice.

This month's was great! There was a really fascinating article about Italy, which I genuinely enjoyed. What was encouraging was that the old chap who wrote it must have been about ninety, although his nice wife was obviously a lot younger, and there he was, still travelling all over Europe! That's give me great hope that, God willing, I've got years and years of happy touring ahead! :-D:-D :-D

Big Momma - 2010-03-25 7:01 PM

lennyhb - 2010-03-25 5:25 PM

When you say most of us rarely stay at this type of site, who exactly are you referring to as 'US' *-)

Must be something wrong with us then because we spend up to 120 nights a year on caravan club sites simply because they are so reliable with regard to service and quality. We don't tend to use CLs so I simply do not bother to read articles about them. We all have our own tastes and requirements and have to accept that the magazine must do it's best to accommodate all of us. I don't begrudge the cover given to CLs as I understand the need for it.

Some of the letters would benefit from being rewritten as small articles. Unfortunately, I know from experience this takes time unless you are naturally gifted or one of the talented regular scribes. I wonder if MMM is taking us for granted and letting the standard of feature writing fall.

My main bugbear with the mag is the size of font used. Practical Motorhome is much easier to read.

Its very easy to knock some of the articles and Andy Stothert is certainly a hard act to follow, but there is so many idea's and information that can help towards planning our trips.

Of course even in the Motorhome community there is a huge divide in what the readers want, for me the technical articles go right over my head where my OH reads them with interest. I enjoy reading about peoples trips but do like them written with a touch of Humour.

Of course the information for new motorhomers can be priceless all gathered together in one place. The letters page can be good but sometimes one subject can be taken to extremes I think.

I have to admit a enjoyed our Mr Kirby's article on Italy and his wife's letter made me smile it was just a tongue in cheek story.

As someone else has said it would be a sad day indeed if these Motorcaravan magazines were not around. Carol.

net-traveller - 2010-03-25 3:10 PM

I have to agree with Tracker.

The mag, of late, has become boring.

I've always felt the the site reviews should omit those of the clubs as they are likely to be biased.

I have noticed that the CC sites dominate, are there NO members of CC & C with Motorhomes ?

Or does it say something about their sites.

Before the flack starts flying, as not being a member of CC & C, I just don't know what their sites are like. & admit part of the reason for joining CC was that I was able to identify the status of their sites BEFORE joining.

The troubles are:

1/ items submitted as letters will always be published as letters, the editors spend many hours correcting spelling and grammatical errors without losing the original authors meaning, a difficult task. To rewrite an item submitted as a letter to turn it into an article raises a couple of problems, on the one hand it takes an awful lot longer to do, secondly letters rarely include more than one photo which is almost always required to illustrate a full article and thirdly by rewriting a letter into a full article will then entitle the author to payment for something which they did not fully produce themselves.

It is almost impossible to please all the people all the time. What I find boring someone else will find totally enthralling, take Eastenders for example (please take it, far far away :D :D ) yet despite my absolute hatred of the wretched programme and all other soaps along with it there are literally millions of people who watch it (and other soaps) almost religously.

Mr Stothert's writing seems to make many people laugh out loud, myself included, while making others cringe at his nicknames for his long suffering wife. Happily I've yet to find anyone who finds his scenic photography skills anything less than awe inspiring.

Site reviews: If you don't like the site reviews that get published then do some of your own! This is an old chestnut with regular complaints about it always being club sites or major sites which is simply not true! There are reviews of non club sites in most issues and every issue contains at least a couple of site reviews of sites abroad. I rarely bother looking at the site reviews as I rarely use sites, most of our camping being on exhibition showgrounds, but I don't object to the reviews being as they are.

If I have a complaint about the current MMM it is that the Interchange section has become almost entirely the thoughts of Peter Rosenthal with very rare appearances from any consultants. And before anyone thinks I'm bitching about being cut out forget it, I have enough to do. i just think that Interchange gave better advice when the replies came from appropriate consultants and not just one, or occasionally two persons.

D.

P.S. to Rosy, see you at Goodwood? our tickets are booked :D

Guest peter
747 - 2010-03-25 2:19 PM

I think this is one for Mr Kirby to answer. ;-)

I hope not, it would take an hour to read it. :D

as new to MMM and this forum, dave has hit the nail on the head with his post.

but not new to lakeland walker and andy stothert he is brill on his articles!

im dying to meet him been up lakes for last 15 years he describes it to a tee, an not seen him yet

as for the old timers( please dont take it personal) maybe you are just getting a bit stale with the mag... to me as a new user its brill, very imformative abroad and at home, and ive never been in euro land in my MH, but i read it cover to cover TWICE!!!

i think you old timers are doing what i do with scuba mags... been there done that...

if you want to go scuba diving get in touch..MH and scuba are made for each other

just think scuba in the med, thats a diffo article

andy get in touch maybe do an article of diving in the lakes....differant perspective do you think?

you pay im skint!!

:D :D :D

Looked through every page, in some deatils, and can now tell you why MMM is no good:

No tits.

None.

The Sun sells 3 million copies day.

There is no news in it at all. But cracking tits on page three.

Come on MMM......sex sells, you know it, and we know it.

What about a bonkability score for those pull down beds.

Some in-depth articles on where to store your fetish clothes?

And whether the sandwich walls will support bondage chain brackets?

A page three girlie draped over the bonnet of the new Burstner 6400 csi gls xl v2 4 door super trouper.

Reports on a visit to Kinkfest in Amsterdam in your Hymer 540......and how many after-party guests you managed to fit in for a spliff and coke in the swilvel chair lounge.

Now that sort of thing would reallly perk up the readership numbers.

:-D

Archived