garman 250w

bazooka

My garman sat nav is not showing the correct distances to destinations.For instance, from home stoke-on-trent, to dover it shows 199 miles.I have done this trip many times and know iit's 250 miles slightly more going anti clockwise round the M25.It's the same on other destinations always showing under the true milage.Whats going on?

baz

bazooka - 2010-03-25 7:44 PM

Big momma

just checked settings it's on faster route,also changed to shorter route the same 200 miles.is it me. My daughter lives at pontefract west yorks it's 100 miles from Stoke by M6 M62 sat nav 57 miles. I wish!

baz

Having used a Garmin for the last 5 years (all over Europe), I suspect the mileage shown prior to the trip is 'as the crow flies' unless you actually set up a route.

To be honest, I've never actually compared the 'before and after' mileages so can't be 100% certain.

bazooka - not quite sure what to suggest if settings are okay. Have you tried contacting the Garmin helpdesk, although don't misinterpret the word 'help', doesn't always apply :D I had a Garmin Quest many years ago and the only problem that I had was right at the outset, the screen would freeze for no apparant reaon. Went on to the Garmin website and downloaded some updated software 'free of charge' and it resolved the problem. Used it all over UK & Europe with no problems. Just wondering if your software has a glitch when calculating routes because I have never known of sat navs to be inaccurate by such a large amount. Anyway, sorry cannot help any further but hope you get problem sorted.

Hi, I have Garmin Quest, and havent ever noticed any major discrepancy regarding distances.

i am currently planning a trip to Austria and have examined the proposed route on a stage by stage basis, to determine likely stopover points at suitable distances. It tells me home to Dover is approx 185 miles, which is if anything pessimistic, as I think it is more like 165 in reality.

I plan about 200 miles a day driving and garmin shows stopping points around that distance which I compare with maps and it seems pretty well accurate.

If you examine your route on a turn by turn basis do you see any glaring errors? I printed the proposed route out and went through it on paper, and only spotted one potential problem, which advised taking an unmade road from a stellplatz back onto a motormay junction. Looking on google earth showed it to to be a narrow farm track not very suitable for a Motorhome, so I amended the route accordingly.

tonyg3nwl

thanks rock bottom brian I'll try later.I've simulated a journey then pressed menu, trip information reset and the correct mileage shows in the top corner ,so it appears that the distances will be correct when in use. Though in my favourits the mileages are still incorrect ,thanks again baz

thanks rock bottom brian I'll try later.I've simulated a journey then pressed menu, trip information reset and the correct mileage shows in the top corner ,so it appears that the distances will be correct when in use. Though in my favourits the mileages are still incorrect ,thanks again baz

bazooka - 2010-03-26 6:33 PM thanks rock bottom brian I'll try later.I've simulated a journey then pressed menu, trip information reset and the correct mileage shows in the top corner ,so it appears that the distances will be correct when in use. Though in my favourites the mileages are still incorrect ,thanks again baz

Distances to "favourites" are as the crow flies distances.  If you select the favourite and then say Go, it will do the actual route calculation using the options you have selected (mostly - allowing for the odd cart track and footpath en route! :-D).

Not sure if its been said but can you indicate several way points on the exact route that you would normaly travel then add them up and you should have approx the same number as you already know.

From what others have said I never get a distance on my (Navman) based on how the crow flies.

Archived