CROATIA COAST AND BOSNIA HERZEGOVINA

roger20

We are touring Croatia soon and also perhaps looking at going to Mostar and Sarajevo as well.

We would ideally like to cover the whole of the coastal route from Rijeka down to Dubrovnik and to help in planning I would appreciate some help as to which sections of the coast are worth concentrating on perhaps at the expense of other sections.

Some research has thrown up Autocamp Mali Wimbledon near Mostar and Autocamp Oaza (at Ilidza?). Does anyone have any experience of visiting Sarajevo from the Oaza site and possibly its GPS coordinates? I may be mistaken but I thought someone had said it was on a tram route into the city but would appreciate any advice on visiting not only the city but the country generally because there is not a lot of information out there.

We would recommend the coast road between Rijeeka and Zadar. Go north to south and then you are more able to make use of the stopping/viewing points.

However, there is much more of interest to us in Croatia than the coastline (as stunning as it is) as we found the Plitvicka lakes to be breathtaking as were the mountains along the Bosnian border.

Sorry, can't help with Bosnia as we did not go there.

You probably already know that insurance for Bosnia can be an issue. We got ours extra on a Green Card from Saga although we did not end up using it.

We were in Croatia two years ago. There were still many signs of the war - very thought provoking making it a memorable holiday on many levels.

Definitely check your insurance for both Croatia and Bosnia.  Croatia should be OK, but I gather some companies will insist on issuing a green card, Bosnia will be problematic with many companies, some of which will not issue cover, full stop.

If you get cover for Bosnia the Neum corridor will be no problem.  If you can't, this is the barrier to reaching Dubrovnik: a corridor about 15 km wide, ceded to Bosnia, extends to the coast around the rather tacky resort town of Neum.  The coast road passes on along the coast past Neum, but as you would be in Bosnia, if you can't get the insurance and drive on, you would have no insurance at all on that stretch. 

The workaround is to get a ferry from Ploce on the mainland North West of Neum, to Trpanj, which is near the end of a neighbouring isthmus, down which you can drive to Dubrovnik without entering Bosnia.

Thanks

I checked with CaravanGuard and they will issue a Green card for either 14 or 28 days (latter is an extra £52) . The only slight problem is that they need actual dates for cover to start and finish, hence the request to try and perhaps put a bit more planning into the overall trip than we would ideally prefer.

Ironically Safeguard would not give any cover for Bosnia but will for for Morocco whereas CaravanGuard are the reverse!

Hi we went to Croatia in May 2008, we stayed at Camping Diana, an ACSI site near Pula which was very good and had a nice pool. It was a 6 mile cycle ride to town, where there are the most incredible Roman ruins in far better nick than I have ever seen anywhere. An Amphitheatre which is still used. It dates from 1AD, and in far better condition then the Collosium in Rome. Another good site was at Drage, incredible, spotless loos and each pitch on a terrace so lovely views out to sea. We also stayed at Umag which was good but huge although that early it was actually fairly empty.

We found the Croats to be very friendly although not at all smiley. On the down side one must be aware of the possibility of spiney things in sea, so shoes are recommended. The only other thing we had a problem with was obtaining fresh vegetables, they had colly's on sale that we would have put in the compost! It is also not as cheap as you might expect.

Hope this helps.

Archived