Spain on a budget

neilmac

We've had a 4 week break from our travels and we're itching to get back on the road again. We've decided that we will head across southern Spain with Portugal as our target. We intend to do this trip on a strict budget and plan to spend no more than we would by staying at home. Fortunately, we don't have to budget for any ferry crossings so the only potential extra cost is fuel. By our reckoning, the amounts we save on water, electricity, logs, fuel for the car and 'excess' food shopping will let us break even - we'll see...

So the route will take in Aires where possible, which is our preference anyway, and we will avoid any road tolls - again our normal preference. The basic route plan is as follows:

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l229/neilmac500/Montichelvo-to-Tavira.jpg

The Aires en route are:

* Ibi

* Cartegena

* Venta el Peral

* Alcaudete

* Cabra

* Valverde del Camino

* Tavira

Very happy to hear advice from others who may know of other good stopping places close to this route.

If all seems to be going according to our budget planning we'll then spend a little while exploring southern Portugal as it seems that the weather has improved following the attrocious winter. Inspired by some of the excellent blogs I've been reading we'll stay at some great sounding wildcamp spots. We have little experience of wildcamping and, although we are happy with our leisure battery and solar panel arrangements, it seems water and waste capacities will dictate how long one can stay in such places, again, we'll see....

Our blog will be updated as we travel :-D

There's another aire for your list at Priego de Cordoba. It's on the Campingcarinfos site for sat nav details. It has waste and water facilities and is a proper municipal aire and is free. You can park up there and is a short walk from the shops etc. It's an a sort of "urbanisation" area but there are no houses, just the roads laid out. It's a little bit scruffy around there but is nice and quiet at night, well it was last February!

Hi Neilmac

i have just met a friend (while in Uk), who lives just North of Granada. he told us that the main road A92 at Guadix, has been partly washed away , due to the recent heavy rains. Not sure how this affects the flow of traffic in the area. Just thought you might like to know about this. Don,t know if any other roads affected in Spain.

we shall be doing a similar route to you, but coming from Uk, in early May, by which time my friend will be back in Spain, and i will be able to ask.

Pauline

PS the motorway splits near Guadix, so not sure which bit the problem is with.

Thanks for the tip PJay, we'll keep our eyes open.

I think we only have 2-3 hours driving that day so plenty of time to divert if we have to.

Have been to the circuit at Guadix a couple of times in the past and that split in the motorway has confused me each time *-)

Just to update so far, while we have some wifi...

We've certainly no complaints about Spanish aires (except for Cartagena anyway :wink: ).

We wildcamped first night but then have stayed at aires including Ibi, which was fine for a basic facilities aire. We enjoyed the morning entertainment supplied by the local 'old boys'

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l229/neilmac500/20100331-_MG_5034.jpg

Then we moved on to the aforementioned Cartegena and gave that a miss, opting for Calnegre near the coast - a nice friendly aire.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l229/neilmac500/20100331-_MG_5037.jpg

And, tonight we're at Venta Del Peral enjoying the distant views of snowcapped mountains

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l229/neilmac500/20100401-_MG_5045.jpg

Blog updated with more pics too

Our last stopping place in Spain before venturing into Portugal was in the lovely town of Cabra, staying at the superbly located Aire. Being Easter weekend it was great to be based in a town and be able to watch the religious processions that the Spanish are so good at - a couple of photos to illustrate:

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l229/neilmac500/20100403-_MG_5100.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l229/neilmac500/20100403-_MG_5095.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l229/neilmac500/20100403-_MG_5104.jpg

Our blog has been updated as we have found some wifi :-)

• 2 weeks later...
neilmac - 2010-03-27 10:02 AM

We've had a 4 week break from our travels and we're itching to get back on the road again. We've decided that we will head across southern Spain with Portugal as our target. We intend to do this trip on a strict budget and plan to spend no more than we would by staying at home. Fortunately, we don't have to budget for any ferry crossings so the only potential extra cost is fuel. By our reckoning, the amounts we save on water, electricity, logs, fuel for the car and 'excess' food shopping will let us break even - we'll see...

So the route will take in Aires where possible, which is our preference anyway, and we will avoid any road tolls - again our normal preference. The basic route plan is as follows:

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l229/neilmac500/Montichelvo-to-Tavira.jpg

The Aires en route are:

* Ibi

* Cartegena

* Venta el Peral

* Alcaudete

* Cabra

* Valverde del Camino

* Tavira

Very happy to hear advice from others who may know of other good stopping places close to this route.

If all seems to be going according to our budget planning we'll then spend a little while exploring southern Portugal as it seems that the weather has improved following the attrocious winter. Inspired by some of the excellent blogs I've been reading we'll stay at some great sounding wildcamp spots. We have little experience of wildcamping and, although we are happy with our leisure battery and solar panel arrangements, it seems water and waste capacities will dictate how long one can stay in such places, again, we'll see....

Our blog will be updated as we travel :-D

Just come back from 80 odd nights away in Spain and Portugal. Don't think that you will live as cheaply as you can in the UK, although it won't be that much more expensive. Most of our camping was free camping. I personally would avoid Cartegena and jump onto the toll road to get around the city, its saves much more than just cash. We don't do cities and prefer to avoid the crawl through them.

Stayed on the aire at Valderverde, very good, next to the road into the village. There is a lovely walk from the back of the aire on an old railway line which goes for miles.

Tavira now appears to be a no go for free camping, all the spots used we understand were being cleared by the GNR. Pinot Doce site, which was always grim in my view, the old canning factory, which was ok, to Quarto Aguas which we really liked were being regularly cleared of free campers. Fines of 60 euros for camping. Do not put out chairs and tables, awnings or use levelling blocks. If you want to sit outside take the chairs away from the van.

We didn't go onto the Algrave this winter but we have heard that everywhere form Castro Marim (only 20 vans on the aire) to Tavira were at times being targeted by the GNR.

starvin marvin - 2010-04-15 9:11 AM

Just come back from 80 odd nights away in Spain and Portugal. Don't think that you will live as cheaply as you can in the UK, although it won't be that much more expensive. Most of our camping was free camping. I personally would avoid Cartegena and jump onto the toll road to get around the city, its saves much more than just cash. We don't do cities and prefer to avoid the crawl through them.

Stayed on the aire at Valderverde, very good, next to the road into the village. There is a lovely walk from the back of the aire on an old railway line which goes for miles.

Tavira now appears to be a no go for free camping, all the spots used we understand were being cleared by the GNR. Pinot Doce site, which was always grim in my view, the old canning factory, which was ok, to Quarto Aguas which we really liked were being regularly cleared of free campers. Fines of 60 euros for camping. Do not put out chairs and tables, awnings or use levelling blocks. If you want to sit outside take the chairs away from the van.

We didn't go onto the Algrave this winter but we have heard that everywhere form Castro Marim (only 20 vans on the aire) to Tavira were at times being targeted by the GNR.

Thanks starvin marvin, well the budget is working very well - the ongoing details of our expenditure is on our blog.

Agree with Cartegena, but other than that the Spanish aires we used have been great.

Now in Portugal at Silves, having so far stayed at Altura, Alcantillha (campsite for laundry etc) and Senhora de Rocha.

Enjoying the whole trip and its a bonus its coming in within our tight budget :-D

Hello berti - great to hear from you!

Yes photos are big aren't they? ;-) This is the only forum I've come across where they need to be reduced so much to post *-) ...... so I left them at their usual size.

Your posts were very useful prior to our visit so thanks again for that. We are at Silves at the pool carpark (the bigger one) and there are still many vans here - maybe 50? mostly Dutch and German, a couple of French and about half a dozen English. Silves has the most difficult Escotos drain to lift that I have,so far, come across ;-)

Weather this week is a bit wet ( very wet actually) in contrast to last week when we were at Altura and it was perfect. Apparently there was a typhoon at Tavira yesterday causing a lot of damage - so maybe their mayor did motorhomers a favour by banning them from the parking places? :-D

Cheers for now.

Hi, Neilmac,

Absolutely brilliant site.

Just done our first 3 month winter in Spain and itching to get back but had to fork out £4000 plus for a new roof on the house.

We spent all of our time on sites eg 18 euros per night in Mojacar for a stay of 43 nights. There was a discount for anything over 30 nights but even with that it was more than 500 euros for our stay.

We need to go back - the cold in N. Wales is driving us crazy.

Can I ask if there is a book of Spanish Aires and if so what is it called?

If there is no such manual, how do you locate the aires?

Need to get back but need to do it on a shoe string for the moment.

Hope you can advise

Geoff Tuckley - 2010-04-21 4:57 PM

Hi, Neilmac,

Absolutely brilliant site.

Just done our first 3 month winter in Spain and itching to get back but had to fork out £4000 plus for a new roof on the house.

We spent all of our time on sites eg 18 euros per night in Mojacar for a stay of 43 nights. There was a discount for anything over 30 nights but even with that it was more than 500 euros for our stay.

We need to go back - the cold in N. Wales is driving us crazy.

Can I ask if there is a book of Spanish Aires and if so what is it called?

If there is no such manual, how do you locate the aires?

Need to get back but need to do it on a shoe string for the moment.

Hope you can advise

Hi Geoff, thanks :-D

Yep, the above link will take you to the relevant book - don't expect the same quantity as in France though. We're also adding some to our site as we visit them.

We've really enjoyed our shoestring trip and when home in a couple of days we will be able to finalise our sums. We don't expect to be far off target :-D

Best of luck with your plans.

Archived