Er....what did I do?

cruiser

Hi Easter Bunnies!

I had a problem with my inverter, it would start OK with a green light, then the light would turn orange, then red...and a buzzing noise would start and the power would stop. I have a four-gang socket line coming off the inverter, with low-current items (DVD, TV and Decoder etc. coming off it. I plug this into the mains on site and the inverter off-site. The problem turned out to be the oven that was plugged into the fourth socket. Obviously I only used it on mains hook-up, but even switched off, something was pulling on the inverter, as when I unplugged it.....everything OK!

But sometime during the plugging/unplugging, switching on/off testing etc. something must have happened, because the 12v power supply to the extension tv speakers AND the clock radio both went kaput. They were on different sockets, and the tv, dvd and decoder are OK. I've tried both items on the mains indoors, no difference. As I said, all I did was switch the inverter on and off whilst removing different plugs. What happened? How can I have blown the radio and a 12v P.S. just by fiddling around?Oh, woe is me. Happy Easter anyway!:-S

Sounds like the nasty transient voltages you can get from invertors when heavily loaded on the 12 volt supply, due to peak currents, have taken out other equipment connected to the 12 volts. Low cost 12 volt equipment does not have the protection required for these transients.

Normally it is not a prpblem but under fault conditions, which is what in effect happened by having the oven connected is another story.

Thanks, Brambles. Now it all makes sense...and the new rule is, only physically plug the oven into the 4-gang when on hook-up. P.S: Anyone want to buy a LIDL under-cabinet radio..needs repair...one careless owner! :'(

Archived