motorhome vinyl flooring

bobbyboy

Re vinyl flooring page nine

i contacted crusader carpet services of redditch as suggested by steve.the owner,Pete,personally carried out the work,removed the fitted carpet,laid the vinyl and sealed round the furniture then made and fitted the removeable carpets, press studded in place,also carpeted the cab area and steps.the workmanship,quality and prices can not be faulted ,pete came to my house to do the work.i would recommend this company to any one who wishes to give there van a make over.once again thank you steve for the recommendation of crusader.

Great service !

I had to do mine myself, the old fitted carpet was getting a bit 'Ickky' so I stripped it all out, and fitted Vinyl 'Woodgrain strip' tiles, looks just like wood block flooring( from Focus Di All) has a 'Grip' grained surface so the dog doesn't do the 'Splits' at both ends. Then use a couple of carpet runners, for warmth on the toes when stepping out of bed.

Why was fitted carpet ever the 'Norm' in Motorvans anyway ???? :D :D

Bus, no it's not mine (I wish !) belongs to bloke I met on South Uist in the Hebrides, It's a Bedford and my Father-in law built it, he worked in the old Bedford factory. It's in the old Caledonian MaCbrayne colours and in great condition. I have it to remind me of my Father-in-law (deceased) who i got on with very well. Ray

• 2 weeks later...

hi everyone

i've bought some of the stick on vinyl planking from £1 shop

pack 0.45 sq mt for £1

just same as b&q product but narrower and about 80% cheaper

how do they do it ?

just wondering if you ripped up the original lino ...or did you just stick it on top..

cheers

berti

Berti,

I think it would be better to strip out the old stuff first, as long as the floor underneath is very clean and free of dust etc, In my Van i had to use a paintscaper to get all the old foamback from the old carpet off and get down to the Fibreglass (yes, it's an Autosleeper monoque) floor.

Thinking about it though, the old lino would give a flat surface, and it would be a lot easier to completely remove all of it and start again if you got fed with it, Just a thought. Ray

hi everyone

thanks for the info rayisi

i started the job yesterday....

given we are setting off on our travels in 2 weeks and i have only the evenings free to do the job......perhaps i shouldn't have ..

it took me all day to get 1/2 the area up...

only the top layer of the very thick vinyl came off and i have had to resort to using a paint-stripping heat-gun to remove the bottom layer from the plywood (lol)

i did think about putting the new stuff on top of the old but thought that i would just be adding more weight ...

so

i will keep you posted

cheers

berti

another early good morning everyone

well.....what a job and a half this has turned out to be *-)

i finally have a clean, smooth surface to lay the new stuff onto....

the old vinyl came off in 3 layers in some places...

and left behind a thin layer of tacky glue....which took me 4 hrs to remove last night ;-)

so i hope to lay the new stuff this evening ....hopefully it will be easy as it is just strips ....

but

theory and practice are two different things aren't they (lol)

i put all the old stuff in bags to weigh it and see if i have gained a precious few kg...

and will post some photos

cheers

berti

hi everyone

i will just ignore those remarks which cast aspersions on my diy skills (lol) (lol)

i have almost finished now....so post full details and photos later...

it was looking quite good .....

unless it has lifted up overnight *-)

cheers

berti

good morning everyone

well, finally finished...seemed like a good idea at the time....perhaps not one to tackle the week before going on holiday..when you only have the evenings to do it ...after work *-)

dog & bone syndrome again *-)

the carpet had finally given up the ghost after our very wet and muddy winter holiday in portugal (agree carpet & m/homes aren't the best combination )

although the original lino was in excellent condition and of a very good quality, the pink & grey mottled pattern could best be described as 'mashed brains'...not very appealing

so when mbh spotted these self adhesive strips in a £shop they seemed an ideal solution... so it is all her fault 8-)

rather than take a chance on doing any damage ..i decided to take all the c/bd & w/robe & bathrm doors off ..

( i will rephrase that....at mbh's insistence ... i took them off )

and probably just as well....

an extremely hot paint stripping gun, combustible materials, a confined space and ME ....have the potential for disaster *-)

i set off on a learning curve....

simply attacking the vinyl haphazardly proved hard work....it was peeling off unevenly..sometimes the whole thickness..sometimes just the top layer

so i found that slicing it into small squares made it easier ....

the sticky residue presented another challenge..

the technique here was to keep going in a straight line across the van...

a quick blast with the gun to soften it ...and then let it cool slightly...otherwise it was too runny to remove...

boy..it was hard work..but preparation is the key...so i persevered

the floor base was in good condition....marine-ply...so i had a good base to lay the new stuff onto..

and this is when you can see just how solidly these older hymers are constructed...

i had a trial run ...

all went well...cutting round the awkward bits was no problem....and it looks miles better than the old stuff...

in fact it is a good match to the woodwork .....

mbh is very pleased....

approx weight savings

old vinyl & residue.....................8.50 kg

old carpet...............................14.00 kg

total = 22.50 kg

new vinyl planks.....................12.50 kg

saving = 10kg

i have also removed a plywood box & brackets which enclosed the seat base of the chair near the door ....only used for stowing shoes out of the way...

all this weighed in at 7 kg

so this means i have shed a total weight of approx 17kg...quite a significant amount....especially when traversing mountain ranges.. (lol)

photos to follow...i hope

cheers

berti

1393990885_005removingtheoldvinyl.JPG.df315f36d459dce6662b7dfcfbd04ad5.JPG

1280147991_012thestickyresidue.JPG.b105278411d7925caf811625eecff5b1.JPG

1695295717_016jobdone.JPG.082f4af3b57a55e24c1a68d54ac8e814.JPG

thanks for the positive comments everyone....

i omitted to mention that i used 15 packs.....so cost of make-over was only £15...

but

the wear and tear on my old knees .....

i am still creaking this morning *-)

cheers

berti

Archived