touring the Scotish Highland

Rocking Ron

Hi.

My wife and I are planning a tour of the Highlands in June. The tour will start at Dingwall continue up the A9 to Wick then to John o Groats. Along the A836 to Tongue. then on to Scourie, finishing at Ullapool.

Can anyone recommend any stop overs free or otherwise.

Whats the midge situation like on the west coast ?

Yours in antisipation

Hi, I could offer a suggestion as follows

In Dingwall, there is CCCsite where you can topup, refill or stay over if you are a club member, and is in walking distance of Tesco if you need to restock larder or fuel tanks.

From Dingwall take the back road over the hill to Evanton via Ardluie, a narrow road but good views over the firth., then into Alness and on to the B9176 heading to Ardguy. Viewpoints on the high ground overlooking Ardguy and Bonar Bridge. and maybe a couple of places for wild camping if not already occupied,

Turn right in Bonar Bridge back to the coast and Join A9 north bound, thenA949 into Dornoch. Beautiful Sandy beach and camping site.

From Dornoch, Take the small coast road north along the shore line where you can do the dolphin and seal watching. Parking places intended for overtaking along here so take care.

Rejoin A9 northbound after Skelbo, and head for Dunbobin Castle. Large carparking area for rest stop, and worth a tour of the castle or a walk in the grounds, down to the shoreline.

Continue on A9 north via Helmsdale and on to Wick, then either Thurso or John o Groats. Large carparking area at John o groats, and associated tourist traps. From there along the north coast westwards via Castle of Mey , and possibly divert to Dunnet Head, then via Castltown to Thurso

Continue across the top to find campsite at Bettyhill, where you could go south via Strathnaver as far as Altnaharra passing CCsite near loch Naver. Midgie land, and they love all flavours of repellent !!

From Altnaharra, Back North to Tongue, then west to Durness. Camping sites overlooking Durness bay. There is a Craft village near Durness, so keep you wallet hidden

You could try the passenger Ferry across the bay near Durness to get to cape Wrath, dont know what transport is available from ferry to the head, might need your bikes.

Southwestbound from Durness then on B801 to Kinlochbervie

Then back to A838 and south via Laxford bridge then divert out to Tarbet, then south via Scourie,Kylestrome then round via Drumbeg,Stoer, Lochinver loop. Looking out for wild camp opportunities,

Further south via Ullapool to refill fuel tanks with most expensive fuel in country, then around via Dundonnel,Gruinard bay and Inverewe gardens, (tropical Gardens at Inverewe). Further south via Kinlochewe, Torridon, Shieldaig and divert out to Applecross if road is open over the hill . Narrow single track route. Possible wild camping, but ask first.

Cant really comment much further south as we cut back across to Dingwall via Strathcarron, Achnasheen and stopover at Rogie Falls, to see the salmon Leap. Then back into Dingwall. There are campsites near Muir of Ord, and a CC CL site on road toward Maryburgh. Also camping site at Fortrose and on coast road between North Kessock and Muir of Ord.

Hope you get good weather, and enjoy your trip

tonyg3nwl

747 - 2010-04-07 11:11 PM

Avoid Scotland in the Summer.

It is packed full of big white boxes on wheels.

The midges will be queueing up on the campsites shortly.

Yummy, fresh English blood. :D

Sorry Jim but this is largely rubbish. We have toured Scotland for the last two years for all the month of August just because it is about the only place in Europe that is not crowded out. Not had to book a single site except the CC club site at Bunree which we telephoned the day before. Midges not a problem we encountered them one day on the island of Hoy but a quick application of Avon Skin So Soft minimised them and a couple of days on an inland site, cannot remember where, but only until about ten in the morning and again after six at night. You do have to be prepared for them but they occur mainly inland, did not come across any in two years on the west coast. Problem is greatly exaggerated and no worse than many other area's in UK and Europe.

Sorry Rupert,

It was meant to be tongue in cheek. I should have added some smilies to show that.

The midges are a bit of a standing joke but speaking as one who is extremely attractive to the average insect, I shall stay away from certain areas at certain times.

We will be doing the East Coast and possibly along the top of Scotland later in the year. We have just returned from a trip as far as Mallaig on the West Coast. It is a gamble with the weather but while it was atrocious all over the UK, I was wandering about in a tee shirt a week ago for a couple of days.

Hi Peter,

We would have gone further if the exhaust had not come apart on the M8 in Glasgow on the way up. The van is a RHD Fiat Ducato but the exhaust for same is not like the one on the van.

I could not get a new one and could not get anyone to bodge it as the van is too big to lift or it would not go through the workshop door. After Mallaig, we decided to restrict our mileage and then travel back in easy stages.

There is always another time. Beautiful scenery, quiet roads and very friendly people. Cannot beat it.

We toured Scotland last year from mid-May to end-June - beautiful weather and hardly a midge in sight.

We had some free stop-overs. On the A99 about 8-10 miles south of John O'Groats, there is a parking area on the right at Brough Head. It is idyllic, overlooking the sea, on a bit of a slope, we were on our own the whole night - wonderful.

For Ullapool, about 2 miles before the town on the A835, there is a small road off to your right signposted Rhue. Just behond the end of the road there is a lighthouse, and at the road end there is a small amount of raised ground that is OK for overnight parking - don't use the area to the right as this is for car parking. We had a beautiful sunset that night between 10 and 10.30

Hope you enjoy Scotland. Let me know if you find (or can't find!) the above.

Colin Robinson.

747 - 2010-04-07 11:11 PM

Avoid Scotland in the Summer.

It is packed full of big white boxes on wheels.

The midges will be queueing up on the campsites shortly.

Yummy, fresh English blood. :D

I think I know what he means the C&CC have there National at Balado Park Kinross 19th to 23rd August. But they are harmless creatures.

Archived