German Emission Laws ??????

geoff

Can anyone provide information regarding emission levels and laws in Germany ?

A number of towns that I plan to visit have emission regulations and I have no idea whether or not I can drive into those areas with my 54 reg Bessacarr with Fiat 2.8 diesel.

Try http:

//www.umwelt-plakette.de/int_england.php?SID=a0aeclj9ca7sd1lf8l1l58kag0

for information in English (the various active zones are highlighted).

Be aware that this is NOT an official site, but one for an agent who will obtain you an Umweltplakette (emissions sticker) at a significant premium.

Though the info on the site is good, I wouldn't recommend buying this way - a sticker is easy to obtain at any TUV station in Germany (could be thought of as essentially an official MOT type testing station).

These are usually clearly signed in most small towns upwards, and will charge you around Euro5 for the privilege on seeing your V5.

Your van is likely to be categorised as yellow.

HTH

Klyne - thanks for that link, we're going to have to get a new Umwelt sticker when we change vans, so that will come in very handy. :-D

Why is it you only see the typo when you've pressed the submit button! >:-(

I obtained a Green emissions sticker for my CI Cipro in Germany last year from a TUV (German MOT) station, it lasts the life of the vehicle and cost me 5Euros. Any English MOT station can supply you with an emissions print out for your own guidance. B-)

Upon reading the Umweltzone Brochure I noted that possession of an EU Parking Card allows entry into an Umwelt zone without a sticker.

Am I correct in thinking that this applies to English Blue Badge holders ?

Hi Geoff

I used this link below and bought my sticker on line. Arrived in about 5 days, paid by credit card and was simple and in Englis. You will need an electronic copy of your V5 and they do the rest. Better to have everything in place before you go rather than risk a fine for ignorance.

If you see us about in June say hello

Mike & Jackie

https://www.tuev-sued.de/auto_fahrzeuge/feinstaub-plakette/bestellen/england

Hi Geoff

I used this link below and bought my sticker on line. Arrived in about 5 days, paid by credit card and was simple and in English. You will need an electronic copy of your V5 and they do the rest. Better to have everything in place before you go rather than risk a fine for ignorance.

Mike & Jackie

Mike B. - 2010-04-21 8:59 PM

Hi Geoff

I used this link below and bought my sticker on line. Arrived in about 5 days, paid by credit card and was simple and in English. You will need an electronic copy of your V5 and they do the rest. Better to have everything in place before you go rather than risk a fine for ignorance.

Mike & Jackie

If you have used my link above it would have been cheaper!

David

Great stuff David,

All we need now is the new van! :-S Apparently delayed due to nonsense happening with the ferries.......

All right, I know it's not nonsense for the travellers (and my own family has been stuck in Washington since the ash disruption - still they are supposed to be back next week, we hope!) ;-)

geoff - 2010-04-30 2:06 AM

Has anyone got info regarding exemption for Blue Badge holders ?

This is from this website http://www.tuev-nord.de/de/ENGLISH_Low_Emission_Zone_8648.htm

Who is not affected by the fine particle regulations?

Mopeds, light motorcycles, motorbikes, motor scooters and motor vehicles with only three wheels

Agriculture and forestry tractors

Mobile machines and devices

Work machines

Ambulances and medical vehicles identified with “Arzt Notfalleinsatz“ (Emergency Doctor)

Motor vehicles for the severely disabled whose disabled person’s passes are marked with “aG“, “H“ or “BI“

Vintage cars with an H sign or with a red “07 number“

You would need to find out what the classifications meant. Mind you for the cost of €6 by post is it worth trying to avoid paying it particularly if it leaves some uncertainty?

David

geoff - 2010-04-15 1:05 AM

Can anyone provide information regarding emission levels and laws in Germany ?

A number of towns that I plan to visit have emission regulations and I have no idea whether or not I can drive into those areas with my 54 reg Bessacarr with Fiat 2.8 diesel.

This will be of no help whatsoever I guess, but the principle I follow is, if a place, any place ie country or city doesn't want me to visit I simply don't go. If German cities want to make it difficult for older vehicles thats their choice.

I just go somewhere else, I suggest you vote with your wheels, life is too short to worry or even think about it.

Mind you for the cost of €6 by post is it worth trying to avoid paying it particularly if it leaves some uncertainty?

Only a Southerner would ask a Yorkshireman that question !

In this neck of the woods 6 euros will buy almost 3 pints of bitter.

Thanks for the info though

• 2 weeks later...

Archived