An Aire for Non-aire Lovers

robertandjean

Hi,

On great aire at St Malo, which will suit those of you who are not too keen on trying aires! The aire in question is Camping des Ilotts, on the D201 from Cancle; although a camp site it operates as an aire from April 2 to June 30 and from Sept. 1 to Nov 4. Pitches are marked, on grass with electric hook-up (good amps) and services included. There is a small childrens play area and table tennis table. Bus to St Malo stops just outside gate (return journey €2.20) and bread etc is available in the village. Oh and the cost per night is €3.70. Yes that's right under €4 for pitch and all services including electricity. Made even better by blue skies weather we are enjoying and free wi fi here at tourist office.

We have been visiting France using a mix of sites and aires and the occasional wild camp for some years now without a single incident.

One Saturday night we used an aire near a beach that turned out to be where the local youth partied. The noise went on to well past midnight. We have small side windows in the overcab from where I kept an eye out for trouble. Gradually they thinned out but the last few came in our direction.

Oh dear I thougt here we go, but suprise, surprise they carefully tip-toed past trying not to disturb us.

It is my belief that spending the night in a really isolated rural spot where you are a very small pin in a very large haystack is pretty safe. 30 years as a copper taught me that criminals are usually lazy bs hardly like to scour the countryside looking for victims

Archived