hi everyone

search not working as usual

anyone used the tunnel last year

what did it cost you one way

was it more economical than using the pass

or did you just save time

cheers

berti

Went through last year one way France to Italy but we were towing a caravan and the costs was €44 one way, not sure if its the same price for a motorhome. We went through on 11th May and Mont de Cenis Pass was still closed. Nice Municipal Campsite at St Jean de Maurienne.

David

'Used it in November, £42ish one way for a 7.4m 3.7t motorhome. Only went that way because I thought it would be interesting! So no, not economical for us though it must save a lot of time if you have to go that way.

Kev

good morning everyone

thanks for the info

we will be travelling about same date as klyne ..so it looks as if the pass will be a no-no

i think i will email them via brian's link ...

we are a tag-axle and have heard that this makes the cost a couple of hundred. €...

will post the reply

cheers

berti

good morning everyone

i have sent 3 emails via the link .....and to date have not received any reply !!

as i have a twin rear axle i appear to be a class 4...

but

i seem to remember a post that m/homes are classed as a car under eu regs (?)

it is all very confusing...

and i assume i am in the €1 category....1997 van..

any help and advice will be most welcome..

so i don't confuse matters any further i will put another thread asking for alternative routes

cheers

berti

berti - 2010-04-19 8:10 AM

good morning everyone

thanks for the info

we will be travelling about same date as klyne ..so it looks as if the pass will be a no-no

i think i will email them via brian's link ...

we are a tag-axle and have heard that this makes the cost a couple of hundred. €...

will post the reply

cheers

berti

Berti

As you approach the Tunnel on the way up the Maurienne Valley there are signs showing whether the Mont de Cenis Pass is open so its possible that it could be open depending, I expect, how much snow they and had recently. You may find it open. I checked out the route on Google Earth andit really looks a lovely journey. Mind you Margaret was pleased when we discovered the Pass closed as she is not keen on being a mountain goat!

David

berti - 2010-04-21 7:03 AM

good morning everyone

i have sent 3 emails via the link .....and to date have not received any reply !!

as i have a twin rear axle i appear to be a class 4...

but

i seem to remember a post that m/homes are classed as a car under eu regs (?)

it is all very confusing...

and i assume i am in the €1 category....1997 van..

any help and advice will be most welcome..

so i don't confuse matters any further i will put another thread asking for alternative routes

cheers

berti

Berti I have just looked at the French language part of the website (they often include more detail there) and it looks to me to be very expensive for you as you are definitely class 4. This is the toll charges http://www.sftrf.fr/doc/commerciales/tariftunnel2010.pdf and this is just for the tunnel, not the autoroute as well. Perhaps it would be better to leave Annecy until the return journey. I have come across the pass towards Chambery and the scenery in early summer was beautiful but very wild.

From the link I posted it seems you will be Class 4, as usual for three axle vehicles on French autoroutes.  If you haven't generally be charged at that rate it is probably because the cashiers haven't spotted the third axle.  I assume your van is over 3.5 tons, so is an HGV ("poids lourd" in French), and may exceed 3.0 metres in height.  On this basis the one way cost from France is E270.20 (Euro 1 engine) or 255.3 (Euro 2 - 5 engine) and from Italy is E271.10/256.20, (presumably the small price differences are due to differing VAT rates between France and Italy).  If returning via the tunnel within 15 days it will pay to get a return ticket.

The Mont Cenis pass is listed as usually clear May - November.

good morning

thanks brian and klyne

as we never use paying m/ways we were unsure of the category we would come under and didn't want to simply turn up then have no alternative but to go through.....

the calculation confirms what we had suspected.....and this would make a very severe dent in our tight budget !!!!

last year , as we were heading straight across to venice, we went via the pt st bernard pass...but this was in late summer..so obviously no probs regarding opening times.....

but we are tied to being in turin at some point between 12th-20th may

so

we are looking for an alternative route

or

we could jjust take a chance that the passes will be open...play it by ear with the weather forecasts as we head southward

we won't be returning that way as we are doing a circular route from turin to venice/slovenia/dolomites /bavaria

so i will put separate threads on for info on these

cheers

berti

Patricia - 2010-04-21

Berti I have just looked at the French language part of the website (they often include more detail there) and it looks to me to be very expensive for you as you are definitely class 4. This is the toll charges http://www.sftrf.fr/doc/commerciales/tariftunnel2010.pdf and this is just for the tunnel, not the autoroute as well. Perhaps it would be better to leave Annecy until the return journey. I have come across the pass towards Chambery and the scenery in early summer was beautiful but very wild.

thank you patricia....sorry i didn't acknowledge you in my reply ...and explain our route better...been up since 6am ....all these early mornings are playing havoc with my brain cell (lol)

off to earn a crust now

hope this quote posts ok

cheers

berti

• 2 weeks later...

hi everyone

just to throw a spanner in the works..

i sent an email to the tunnel website using brian's link

i have received a reply

it states

''a camping car of 3 metres high (with 3 axles and 4000kg ) is in class 2 ...

if on the documents of the vehicle it is write ' camping-car'

in class 2 the price for 1 way is €35.10 (inc vat)

in class 2 the price for 2 ways ( validity 7 days ) is €43.70 (inc vat )

the information on the website is very misleading ....

nowhere could we find any reference to a 'camping car'....from the drawings / info we did appear to be class 4...

as the toll for this would have made a severe dent in our budget...

we had resigned ourselves to missing the opportunity to see the turin shroud.....if the pass was not open

so...we shall see what happens...

cheers

berti

That's excellent news Berti but difficult to believe! Make sure that you take a print-out of their email in case of problems. I hope you are under 3m too as many of the newer m/homes are just over.

I am still amazed at the difference in the price between classes 2 and 4 anyway. Well worth arguing!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Archived