Hobby Motorhomes

aljen

I am looking at to change my van and like the look of a Hobby 690GES and would like to hear from anyone who has experience of these, Anything to look out for? any shortcomings/failings, any help is appreciated

Aljen

We looked several times at these very attractive vans but each said NO for several reasons.

1 All those that we looked at were on Fiat bases.

2 The external countours mean that repairs would be expensive.

3 The external contours result in some compromise on internal design. For example only small windows.

But they sure look sexy!

C.

I would add to check very carefully that the seller is properly franchised by Hobby for the marque.  There is a 6 year water ingress warranty, which requires annual checks to be carried out by an authorised dealership, and the record filed back to the Hobby works.  If this is not properly done, especially if the dealer ceases trading, you could have quite a problem in the event of leakage.  This should not put you off, but as you are in Scotland I guess Hobby dealerships are a bit thin on the ground, and finding an alternative source of redress under the warranty may be a little difficult.  Otherwise, they are generally better than OK on quality, though I think, not quite among the best, and I'd definitely avoid a Fiat base at present.

hi Brian

Thanks for your comments, yes any dealers are thin on the ground up here, I am buying from a dealer, so have yet to look at it in the flesh and will be having a good nosey round it then. Its on the previous 2.8l engine so i will avoid the juddering experienced by so many, i hope anyway. once i get a proper look i will make up my mind then, what little is left of it anyway

Clive

I have not had any problems with the van i have, its been very reliable engine wise and hopefully this one will too. Its a 2007 model and must be one of the last few built on the older chasis.

Does anyone have any problems with the fittings etc?

Apologies, I thought you were buying a new one.  I think the last of the 2.8 JTD Fiats were just about fully de-bugged, including the gearbox issues around 5th gear.  I would just try to find out whether it has a full service history, bearing in mind the engine should be serviced annually if mileage is low, and whether all the Hobby warranty inspections have been properly signed off, dealer stamped, and filed back to Hobby.  If they have not, burst into tears, say the warranty is worthless, and ask for a huge discount!  When they agree to that (and even if they don't :-)), get a thorough damp check carried out.  If it tests dry after this winter it should be OK for at least the next three years!  May I also suggest you get the water system tested, and any damage due to freezing remedied, before you take it on.  Otherwise, enjoy!

I doubt very much if i would look at a new one, apart from being expensive, there are too many questions regarding the sevel gearbox for me to contemplate, and also im too poor to buy new. I hope to go down next weekend to have a look at the van and i will look for any service records, or ask to see them at least. Good point about the damp check, i will ask that they carry it out before or if i decide to buy, i will get the wife to burst into tears, its easier for her, i hope (lol). They have agreed to carry out the habitation checks prior to buying and that should if carried out properly!!! show any problems with the water system. As it has only done 10k miles hopefully it will have been serviced yearly and will be in good health. I will reserve all judgements til i am able to view it in person, now where did i leave my fine tooth comb

Alan

Archived