Scaffolding query

LordThornber

This forum has never let me down for info, but this could be a first.

My neighbour has had scaffolding erected, it started this morning and was continuing to go up as we went out.

On our return it is clear that the scaffolder (s) have been on the flat roof of the extension to our home. Also there are scaffold pipes on the roof and some planks left there.

Are there regulations around accessing our property? I'm not an unreasonable person and wouldn't have refused access but it would have been nice to be asked.

Martyn

Walking on a flat roof or dropping something on it can do damage and cause it to leak. We know this from bitter experience when our window cleaner refused to use the boards we had been advised to always use when walking on our flat roof. When it started leaking it was clear that he had not done as he had been asked. We ended up replacing it with a pitched tiled roof which looks far better but not the point really is it?

So I would register your concern with your neighbour and also the scaffolder and make it clear that damage and trespass to your property is not something you condone.

Do it nicely but firmly and stand your ground.

Guest Tracker

You might add that any damage to your property would be covered by the scaffolder himself or the scaffolder's own public liability insurance and that, with no offence intended to him as your friendly neighbour, because the act of trespass was outside of his control. That should keep things friendly!

Clive is right - flat roofs are easily damaged especially when they are a few years old.

The general principle is that the scaffolder should not have crossed the boundary, and should not be storing poles, or anything else, on your flat roof.  The exception would be if there are covenants granting access to an adjoining owner for maintenance.  If there are, I would expect these to be conditional on agreement as to extent and timing, permission not to be unreasonably withheld, or similar.

It may be that your neighbour is blissfully unaware of what the scaffolders have been doing, and will be mortified when you tell him.  It may also be that the boss of the scaffold firm is unaware what his "lads" have been up to.  However, your neighbour has, either directly or indirectly, employed the scaffolders, so the liability for any damage is his.  He has to sort that out with the scaffolders, or whoever employed them.  As suggested, tread soft, because resentful scaffolders are not necessarily the most thoughtful souls!

However, I would be inclined to have a very close look at the roof.  You do not say what it is made of, how old it is, or whether it is guaranteed.  It is, as stated above, and I am sure as you will already know, very easy to damage built-up felt roofs with the ends of scaffold poles, even if they are just stood vertically on the roof.  The same is true for lead, zinc, and copper, though these are tougher.  Asphalte should be OK, unless it was very warm and soft at the time.  However, a dropped pole, or even one put down clumsily, would be a different matter.  So, you should notify your neighbour, because he is wholly liable for the actions of his contractor, but also do check the roof immediately for any signs of damage, and again when the offending items have been removed.

There is clearly trespass, and I would be inclined to get a few photos while the evidence is there, especially of any visible damage.  The trespass does not of itself, as I understand it, entitle you to any compensation.  However, if there is resultant damage, and you have the evidence, your neighbour - unfortunately for him - is in the frame.

Thanks Clive/Rich/Brian, neighbour was out but next door but 1 was in, he's hooked up to the scaffolding too. Two roofs done at once job.

I showed him the situation and he wasn't amused, in fact he was embarrassed as it was a friend of his who'd done the scaffolding.

He said he'll speak with them ASAP and get it sorted and make sure any damage, (which I've no idea whether there is), is put right.

Watch this space. Or roof. 8-)

Martyn

!st point the scaffold co. should have requested your permission before starting. 2nd take clear and dated photographs of the roof in case of any damage then contact the scaffold co. to register your dismay that they did not contact you reguarding the need to access your roof. Keep it all civilised and hopefully all will be well. Best of luck John ;-)

A full lenght scaffolding tube is 21' long and is known as a "standard", there is a particular piece of scaffolding known as a bridge and they come in various lenghts and as the name suggests they are used to bridge obstacles such as next doors garage etc,

No way should scaffolding be erected in that situation, the flat roof should have been planked out to avoid accidental damage, I would insist that the scaffoling should be removed.

I took the measured and calm approach, as well as taking some pics too.

The owner of the firm responsible called round personally last night and apologised.

He moved all the offending pipes and planks his staff had left about. I examined the roof and couldn't see any damage although another pic or 2 was taken just in case.

A good conclusion and thanks to you all as usual.

Martyn

Archived