Laptop computers

bigal

I have been considering buying a laptop for use when travelling and would appreciate informed comments on whether this is a good idea. I am a new boy where computers are concerned and don't want to spend cash unnecessarily. It's the pension you know! B-)

First question to answer is what you would use it for.

If that usage includes Internet access (e-mail/surfing) you will need a dongle (or equivalent) or have to rely on finding WiFi facilities. The data allowances which come with mobile broadband packages are not really suitable to large scale downloads (games, iplayer etc) and can be very expensive for use abroad. Applications like Skype are usually restricted.

If you want to use it for particular applications will to be powerful enough to run them and (especially if graphics are involved) will the screen be large enough?

If you camp away from EHU will you have sufficient battery capacity for the whole of your stay?

Once you have come up with a specification of what you need you can look at the range of machines which meet that spec (don't forget ongoing mobile broadband costs) - and then decide whether the cost is worth it to you.

Graham

Thanks GJH, I am not a computer buff 8-) and I would mainly use it for keeping in contact. My grandson advised not to bother but I like to check out the information available. I've no idea what a dongle is or where to purchase one. Does that mean that with a dongle you can connect up to the internet at anytime, (WIFI or no WIFI). 8-)

A dongle is basically a cut down mobile phone which can be used for Internet access and (sometimes) sending texts but not for voice calls. It connects to a USB port on the computer.

The various networks have a range of packages, both contract and pay as you go. Connection to the Internet depends on the coverage of the network chosen. Some (if not all) have coverage maps available at their web sites in addition to full details of their packages.

Graham

I have a contract with 3, which I use all the time as I do not have a landline, and that allows me to use it with Skype. Not tried it yet though.

If a small screen would suffice, then you could consider a netbook. These are much smaller and lighter, convenient for carrying into McD's for instance to use their Wifi, and have much longer battery life.

bigal - 2010-04-20 12:24 PM

I have been considering buying a laptop for use when travelling and would appreciate informed comments on whether this is a good idea. I am a new boy where computers are concerned and don't want to spend cash unnecessarily. It's the pension you know! B-)

I too have been considering ( for ages ! ) taking a laptop on my travels, but I too also just want to keep in touch and nearly all the advice I've seen on here many times involves 'expensive' contracts, especially when travelling on the continent.

Up to now I have kept in touch with family quite adequately using text on mobile phones or the occasional use of internet cafes for e-mails and surfing the net .

If you do take a laptop there are increasing numbers of wi-fi hot spots, including some on campsites.

It really does depend just how much you intend to use a laptop.

Archived