Short list - Which one?

Shell181

Hello Shell,

I would like to put this to you and please except this as it was meant with your best interest and that of hubby at heart.

If you are able, you should consider going on a weeks long driving course with the test at the end of the week as you keep saying you can not drive. This will give you freedom personally and it will also come in if you ever get stuck anywhere where you will need to take over driving the motorhome. The cost of buying the MH makes it, IMO, imperative that both parties should be able to drive and take turns!

I would also urge you to keep posting as it is helping other people who are considering this move and who just like following "interesting" threads.

We personally have got down to to Hymer B544SL which can not afford and Hobby's although within those two marques we like quite a few of them.

We will spend up to 30k and the Hymer's will possibly come out on top but we are open to persuasion tomorrow at the show, we will see. We are not in any hurry to buy and we have noticed more "cheaper" MH's come onto the market generally from September until they go up again from end of January.

Kind regards

Atlantisbird

Hi Atlantisbird, thanks for your post, I know what you are saying makes sense but driving really is not for me. I did start taking lessons a few years back, passed my theory and was being put in for my test but then fell down the stairs and hurt my back which gave me the excuse I needed and did not get in the driving seat again. I would love to be able to drive but everytime I had a lesson it was like a big black cloud coming over me tbh-it really is not for me, hubby is happy to drive, but I do feel selfish not to be able to take it in turns. I know its not everyone but there are just too many idiots on the roads nowadays and I was a very nervous driver and don't think I would have ever settled in to it.........

Good luck with your search

Shell

:-D :-D

From your list for me the Hymer would be the only option (I may be biased) there is no way I would consider a British built van build quality water ingress problems etc.

The Hymer is the only one likely to be fully winterised, the German van will give you less frilly bits for your dosh but will be more solidly built.

Hymer use the Paul system no timer framing all metal, insulation is PU foam & marine grade ply on the inner walls, so even when one is very old and if water does get in it won't cause a major problem.

Don't let people frighten you going on about obtaining spares & servicing as most bits & pieces in all vans come from a small core of manufacturers regardless of make of van.

If you don't mind LHD you can save yourself a load of dosh by buying in Germany, take a look at ;-

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/search.html?scopeId=MH<=en

Hi Lenny

Thanks for your post. I must admit personally I would prefer to buy european as they sound better built just from the things that I have picked up on in the forums. It wouldn't bother us if it was LH drive as we will be using it for Europe most of the time anyway :-D

Not many of the used Hymers about for resale, haven't seen one for sale at all of the model we want and we don't really want to go to Germany to get one and also we would have to buy it over the internet just by looking at pics as by the time we got there it could be sold, unless there is another way of doing it that we don't know about?

We will keep looking and hope that one comes up as we are in no particular rush to buy but saying that it would be nice to buy sooner rather than later :-D

Shell

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Lennyhb

You recommened the website on your message.

Have you used this company or bought your 'van abroad?

If so how did you find out about importing your 'van?

It is something we are looking at doing because we want a LHD 'van. I know people will say look in the UK but when we have asked about buying the new vans in LHD we just get told we can't!

Hope you can help

Yvonne

Archived