Hymer Electroblocks

gullnooker

Hello all, please may I correct some of the errors published on here?

1. Firstly you must not use the Solar 3 pin port for an auxillary charger, it is not rated for the capacity a typical charger will output, You will blow the protecting fuse. If you replace that with a higher rating you will damage the Elektroblock. Using this port on an EBL 99 will NOT charge the Starter battery without additional cabling and functionality.

2. Whilst some of the failures of Schaudt Elektroblocks are down to poor quality 220v mains spikes/surges it is not the primary cause of failure. Poor battery condition accounts for 90% of the failures we see. 5% high humidity, 3% owner misunderstanding, 2% mains 220v issues.

Whilst the OVP 01 is an excellent product it should not be necessary in normal use. Schaudt do offer the Elektroblock with built in OVP.

3. Please don't replace the internal fuse, this only ever blows if a fault has developed on the board. Replacing it causes significant component damage which will we more costly to repair.

4. A & N Motorhome and Caravan Services web site contains a wealth of information on the Schaudt Elektroblock range. They are recognised Schaudt distributors and can repair most EBL units for around £120, where repair is not possible or advisable they can supply new units at half Main Dealer cost. NEW EBL 99's at £290.

5. The Schaudt LR1218 is the most cost effective and powerful Solar Regulator under £100. We have seen so many issues as a result of poor Solar installation or the use of inferior regulators. It is the functionality in the LR1218 that allows it to charge the Leisure and Starter battery on an EBL 99, not the EBL itself.

Most Solar regulators will require additional circuitry and components to charge both Starter and Leisure batteries, adding complexity, cost and an extra level of potential failure. See our Solar Hints and Tips page.

Good to see you posting on here now,

Since my last post, I now have the Schaudt regulator (supplied by yourselves) and my van battery is now also charged. I did this because my 7.5 amp regulator was too small as I have purchased a second solar panel.

• 1 year later...
Clive - 2010-11-29 10:52 PM

I have come to the conclusion that its better to isolate the charger function of the Elektroblock and fit a more reliable and more tollerant aftermarket intelligent charger.

C.

I have thought this as well but not being up on these things I would not know where the output connections would go into the system from an after market charger. I have an EBL105-2 Elektoblock which like most others is also the distribution unit and getting it wrong would make for a spectacular fireworks display! Any help Clive

• 8 months later...

We have been repairing Schaudt Elektroblocks now for over 3 years and have done thousands of units. The Elektroblock range is fitted with Spike/Surge protection just like every other charger we have ever repaired. Only about 3 a year have a problem with 220v supply, almost always from unsuitable Generators, not the National Grid.

The OVP 01 is not a Spike Surge protector as stated above it is an Over Voltage Protector to protect against slow rising voltage changes, like from spluttering Generator running out of fuel. It is not designed to protect against fast rising voltage surges and spikes.

See the website for information on how to care for the Elektroblock range and extend their life : http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/schaudt-elektroblock.php. On the website you will find more details on the OVP01 and Schaudt's own manual describing how it works.

Almost all the chargers we now repair, British, German and Italian are damaged by a battery past its best. Battery youthfulness and quality is key.

Archived