Swift Kontiki

Shell181

Hi

One of the possibilities on our short list of motorhomes is the Swift Kontiki 640, I have just spent quite a lot of time looking for any used MH's for sale on this list and there seems to be quite a lot of Swift Kontikis-all different models. Just wandered if anyone knew of a problem with them or had any ideas of why there is so many for re-sale, most of the other MH's on my list I can't find any for sale, should I take this as a bad sign about the Kontiki do you think?

Shell

Popular van. Like many Swift vans, had a reputation for leaking although the newer ones seem much better. People who get a good one tend to swear by them; those who get a bad one swear at them. Get it from a good dealer, with a good warranty, and a damp check, and you could have a great van on your hands.

Think of it as a top of the range Vauxhall Cavalier!

My advice will always be to find a good dealer and the best van they have to suit my needs. Try Lowdhams near Huddersfield and near Nottingham

We use to have a Swift Sundance then traded it in for a Kontiki 665 and it is the best thing we have done. Our Kontiki was 4 years old, very low milage when we got it and haven't had any problems since getting it a year.

Not sure why there are a lot of Kontikis for sale but one reason is that they may be trading them for a newer model??

I am on my second kontiki and found them to be excellent.

They are made in the UK by a reputable company using many made in Britain products.

Supporting British manufacturers is important to me, this should help spares supply as the van gets older.

We bought our Swift Kontiki 610 in 2005, we like the build and quality of the fittings, we havent had any problems with it, so as far as we know they are a very good buy especially if you can get a low millage one as we did.

• 4 years later...
We have just bought a Swift Kontiki 610 on a 56 plate with only 12,000 on the clock from Springfield Motohomes, in Bridlington. We pick her up on Wednesday 8th October 14, and cannot wait. We have been M/H for many years now, and I always fancied a Kontiki, and this one fits on the drive with our car.

Eddie, (judgemental) where are you?. I'd have thought you would have been all over this thread, pointing out the error of their ways in even considering a British made van. (lol)

Guest JudgeMental

Ha ha ha...You can drag them to the water but they may not drink :D Must admit when I was young the Kontiki was a thing of such wonder ...So exotic...Mind you I soon grew up! (lol)

Dave welcome to the forum..enjoy your new van ;-)

Probably because of poor British build quality leak like sieves, there you are Eddie I said it for you.

Like you, when I was young I thought like you then I grew up and realised they were caravans bolted onto vans not real Motorhomes.

Why anyone would want to spend their hard earned cash on a British built van I fail to understand. (lol)

Dave M1 - 2014-10-02 8:44 PM

We have just bought a Swift Kontiki 610 on a 56 plate with only 12,000 on the clock from Springfield Motohomes, in Bridlington. We pick her up on Wednesday 8th October 14, and cannot wait. We have been M/H for many years now, and I always fancied a Kontiki, and this one fits on the drive with our car.

I am delighted with my Kontiki and the choice is a personal one. You will always get somebody finding a fault one way or another wherever its built.

Please get a complete dampness check, including floor areas, done before purchase and by a competent person using proper equipment. Kontiki's have a reputation for dampness so worth finding out now.

I am sure you will enjoy.

Thank you for the welcome.

We started motorhoming way back in the 70`s and have had quite a few different makes, some good and some not so good. I have found when talking to fellow enthusiast on rallies, the van or make that person I`m talking to will say that his/her van is the best since sliced bread, what ever make it is, lol. All so there are people who will give you advice, once again some good and some not so good, so folks enjoy your motorhome what ever the make is.

Archived