Brownhills

Wingpete

I live in Swindon and stopped using said Dealer many, many, many months ago. However, whilst I am unable to confirm if they are up for sale or in difficulty, when I was there over a year ago the shelves in the accessory shop were very very bare and I commented then that things did not look good.

Discover Leisure are also struggling they are trying to come to a voluntary agreement with their creditors.

I believe the deal is something like 20% of the debt will be paid over a 5 year period. Something like that anyway.

What beats me is how my local branch is packed full of new m/homes and caravans.

Discover ... that's probably part of the problem - they'e committed themselves to buying these new motorhomes and are suffering from cashflow problems so need to shift them quick. They had some very well priced vans at Peterborough and deals to match ... it doesn't matter how much stock you have, if you ain't shifting it, you ain't making any money!

The branch at Clifton Nr Preston which used to be called Madisons looks to be in a sorry rundown state with a forsale sign prominently positioned on the site. When I asked what was happening I was told that they were relocating to the Lostock Hall area of Preston, home to Todds and Campbells with Marquis on the old Preston dock area. The service centre down the road is equally rundown with the accessory shop bare. It used to be a hive of activity but no more. It doesn't bode for the future. I would have to think twice before I would buy a motorhome from them because the after sales service could be compromised. I hope that they can overcome their present situation as there must be numerous ex customers who have bought Hymers and other makes and will want service backup from time to time. The area as a whole seems to be suffering a shortage of second-hand motorhomes for sale, the dealers stock levels are very low with little choice available.

rolandrat - 2010-05-11 9:59 AM

The branch at Clifton Nr Preston which used to be called Madisons looks to be in a sorry rundown state with a forsale sign prominently positioned on the site. When I asked what was happening I was told that they were relocating to the Lostock Hall area of Preston, home to Todds and Campbells with Marquis on the old Preston dock area. The service centre down the road is equally rundown with the accessory shop bare. It used to be a hive of activity but no more. It doesn't bode for the future. I would have to think twice before I would buy a motorhome from them because the after sales service could be compromised. I hope that they can overcome their present situation as there must be numerous ex customers who have bought Hymers and other makes and will want service backup from time to time. The area as a whole seems to be suffering a shortage of second-hand motorhomes for sale, the dealers stock levels are very low with little choice available.

Peter Hambilton used to work for Madison's before he set up on his own when Brownhills took over. Very good knowledgeable Hymer trained service engineer.

http://www.friendlyhippo.co.uk/hymerdirect/

I am a very satisfied customer.

Looking at the relative rubbish stock Brownhills had each time we visited them late last year not surprised , seems like they were only after new sales to order as they also had little stock , including new on their forecourts.

I still cant believe that it took them 4 YEARS to contact me to tell me my MOT was due on our first MH and as a 'valid' customer they had a special offer on for combined service and MOT.

Tell a lie I can believe it!

Lots to be said for these smaller more independant dealers who aren't slaves to shareholders (or investment companies) wanting more and more dividends.

My only concearn now is that these dealerships closing (good , bad or indeifferent) will leave holes in the market in terms that folkes will have to go further a field to find what they want? Lets hope these gaps get filled with some better dealers in the long run.

747 - 2010-05-10 10:05 PM

Discover Leisure are also struggling they are trying to come to a voluntary agreement with their creditors.

I believe the deal is something like 20% of the debt will be paid over a 5 year period. Something like that anyway.

What beats me is how my local branch is packed full of new m/homes and caravans.

AFAIK this is 'old news'. A CVA WAS agreed in June last year at 22p in the pound.

Unless there have been further moves (and I'm not aware that there have) they should now be trading on a much more even footing.

(at the cost of their creditors of course).

Guest peter
But when You're getting almost parity on the Euro/Pound as we did in April it's not surprising. As it makes imported vans a lot more expensive.

Ali B has some interesting numbers. I keep hearing that second hand vans are in short supply but that isnt the whole picture. The £/€ creates many problems for importing new vans and base units and anecdotal evidence from a "manufacturer of luxury vans" had 150 people on the production line in 2007 and now have 80 although they are actively recruiting. The whole market is depressed, not surprising in reality. As an earlier posting said if you are not selling you are short of cash.

Just thought I would have a look at earlier motorhome registration figures. Highest number registered was in 2007: 11,646 units and in 2009 8017. The last time they were below 2009 numbers was in 2003 at 7468. So far this year the numbers are 25% down on last years so this explains why the large volume dealers are in trouble and cutting prices. They need to sell, sell and sell or the cash flow becomes horrific.

Not directly to do with the original subject but if you do want to visit the Swindon site you'll find West Country Motorhomes right next door. :-)

That's if you can find them now they've built the new dual carrieageway and access flyover. No signposts anywhere!

Harvey

Archived