Intermittent Slipping Clutch

bounty hunter

Hi, need some help please. Had an engine re-map carried out mid March and left on 1st April for a 7 week tour of Europe. During this time away I have been plagued with the clutch sometimes slipping whilst travelling up hill. There is no pattern as to what type of hill causes this slippage as when everything works properly van would happily climb Everest.( Left Dover this morning on A2 and was doing 50 at top of hill) Next day a molehill would cause slippage. When slippage occurs depressing pedal and releasing quickly sometimes cures it which suggests to me that there is not enough clearance but as clutch is hydraulically operated there is no adjustment. Van details are :-

Make Fiat

Model Euramobil 810

Engine 2.8 JTD

Year Registered Jan 2007

Mileage 12000

Weight 5 Tons

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

John

Guest Tracker

Assuming it is hydraulic actuated - and I really don't know - but are the actuating lever and pedal moving freely about their pivots with some free play?

Maybe such an intermittent fault is related to a worn or seized pivot shaft or point?

Are there any tinkling or scraping noises - might be hard to spot above the engine noise - suggesting maybe a broken damping spring in the clutch plate that might be moving about and preventing the two plates from fully mating?

Any signs of oil leakage as oil drying onto the splines might cause this effect - bit of a long shot that one!

Oil on the plates would certainly cause slippage but you might be able to smell it burning - as well as the clutch plate's own acrid burning smell when it slips

If cable operated I would suspect a frayed cable or maladjustment?

Sorry I can't be more specific but none of my vans have ever had a clutch issue - famous last words - so I'm digging back to motoring in the bad old days for inspiration!

Hi, If this is the same sort of set up as on the Renault, Nissan and vauxhall, traffic type vans, our company had major issues with a similar fault at arround the 60,000 mls time. Does the system use the same master cylinder as the brakes? and is the slave cylinder in the clutch housing, out of view? If so, at the point of slipping, does the pedal seem sloppy and reluctant to return? If the answer is yes, sorry, its gearbox out and a new slave cylinder and plastic link pipe, might as well replace clutch at same time, more than likely its contaminated with fluid. check your fluid level!!! Hope its not though, GOOD LUCK.

Archived