Opinions on buying an Elddis Autoquest 180

Laura

Can anyone give us advice on buying a new Elddis 180, especially as to whether Fiat have resolved poor gearbox problems and/or if there are any other known faults?

Would the optional engine upgrade be advisable or would the similar Transit based vehicle be better?

Thanks

It's a Peugeot rather than Fiat, albeit there's a lot of commonality. So 2.2 Peugeot/Ford unit, mated to a 5 speed gearbox. Judder isn't unheard of, but seems less prevalent than on the 2.3/6 speed. If it does, there's modified engine management settings, followed by gearbox amendments. Not sure if they ship with such changes already done or not. I've not heard of anyone with outstanding issues Peugeot refuse to sort out, but that probably means someone will come along and prove me wrong. I didn't think any engine upgrade was possible...it's a budget unit and they keep costs down by keeping things homogenous (again, someone could prove me wrong).

As to the motorhome itself, I have a 140 in Compass guise and they're good honest motorhomes. All the things you need without the frills of things you don't. There's a few irksome things where they've saved a few pennies to keep costs down...e.g. quality of stays which keep the seats up for access to storage underneath, bore of waste pipes. Main inherent design flaw is small water/waste tanks, but they've addressed the freshwater things a bit by incorporating the Whale system that defacto gives you 45 litres onboard + 40 litres from external. You'll have no problems at resale time.

Paul

What is "the similar Transit based vehicle" you are considering? 

There is no "poor gearbox problem", as such, with SEVEL vans.  There is a specific problem with reversing (a judder, or severe vibration), that results from an incompletely diagnosed combination of high reverse gear and other unspecified transmission components, that Fiat and PSA have been trying, with limited success, to resolve since 2007.  Some owners have experienced premature clutch failure trying to reverse without judder and, in a relatively few cases, in having to reverse on steep hills where the judder could not be controlled, gearboxes have broken.  There is no "engine upgrade" that averts this problem, but if an automatic gearbox is specified, so far as I know only in conjunction with a 3.0 litre engine, the judder seems not to arise.

Since this problem still seems to affect a number of vans, if you want to avert the risk you would be wise to test drive any vehicle you are thinking of buying before agreeing to purchase, preferably reversing it on a hill as part of that test.  If it judders, reject it, because all the indications are that it will judder worse when laden.  If you want to avoid this risk altogether, and the automatic option is not acceptable/available, go for a van that is not SEVEL based.

Thanks Brian.

So I take it the Elddis van is made in the SEVEL factory?

Is it really true the engine is ford in the Peugeot?

Who makes the gear box?

The Transit option is proving to be difficult at present to be honest.

CI do one that seems to have a large over hang and front wheel drive plus the bench seat is narrow so its not desirable really.

Tribute do one which looks ok from the pictures but we are yet to have a look at one.

We like the Elddis interior compared to other vans in the budget range

We are looking for new up to 35k and ideas ?

Thanks.

Laura - 2010-06-09 2:00 PM Thanks Brian. So I take it the Elddis van is made in the SEVEL factory?

The factory is operated by a joint venture between Fiat and Peugeot/Citroen (PSA).  SEVEL stands for Société Européenne de Véhicules Légers, which is the full name of the joint venture.  However, this is only where the chassis-cab units are made.  They are delivered to motorhome converters, such as Elddis, who add the "coachbuilt" bodywork, and generally fit them out.

Is it really true the engine is ford in the Peugeot? Who makes the gear box?

The 2.2 litre Puma engine is a joint venture between Ford and PSA.  So far as I know, the PSA gearbox is not the same as Ford uses.  At any rate, ours has the Ford engine and box, and it has yet to judder!

The Transit option is proving to be difficult at present to be honest. CI do one that seems to have a large over hang and front wheel drive plus the bench seat is narrow so its not desirable really. Tribute do one which looks ok from the pictures but we are yet to have a look at one. We like the Elddis interior compared to other vans in the budget range We are looking for new up to 35k and ideas ? Thanks.

I thought you had found a Ford based Autoquest!  There are very few Ford based motorhomes so, unless you are prepared to wait to see who begins converting the new Renault Master, your best bet will be a Mercedes based van.  Look especially at Marquis County for a UK type layout, otherwise, look at Europe, especially Germany, for makers such as Hymer, Burstner, Dethleffs.

Can't advise on vans with similar layouts (it is a UK favourite, that we don't like - so I've never researched it!), but I would say the 180 has an inadequate payload for its size, and an uncomfortably long rear overhang, which will lead to a risk of overloading the rear axle, and of grounding the rear on, for example, ferry ramps.  Sorry!  :-)

Archived