Recommendations for Rhone-Alps and Burgundy aires please?

neilmac

Busy making a rough plan for our next road trip which starts from our home near Valencia at the beginning of July.

We have some ideas for the part up to Nimes where Mrs Neilmac wants to try and see Mark Knopfler in concert but after that we have no plans until we get up to Reims and onwards for a ferry to the UK in August.

So, could anyone recommend some great aires for the in-between bit? We're happy to just go with the flow but its really nice to get some ideas in advance.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l229/neilmac500/leg.jpg

Aires only and scenic if possible, quaint villages that sort of thing.

Many thanks.

We did a similar route in the summer of 08 ( & I'll be back through early Aug. this year).

The Google map on my 2008 page3 trip page has our aires/France Passion/freecamps marked.

If you click on the google map link it opens up the full map with icons & desriptions.

Favourite was probably Nuits St Georges.

http://travel.jeffersoncampervan.com/2008Page3.html

Some of the aires we have just stayed at worth using are

Nantua - spectacular position next to the lake and only a few minutes to the town. This was closed earlier in the year but has now reopened.

Balme De Sillingy -(Not far from Annecy) again next to a lake and walking distance to the town.

Froncles - next to the canal and again a few minutes walk to the village. (Before Joinville)

Mareuil sur Ay - next to the canal. In the centre of the village. Entrance is difficult due to ongoing town development but follow the deviation and access commerces signs and you'll get there.

If you havent already tried it Arques near St Omer is well worth using before the ferry to the UK. It is right next to a lake and very scenic.

Petra - 2010-06-14 5:45 PM

Some of the aires we have just stayed at worth using are

Nantua - spectacular position next to the lake and only a few minutes to the town. This was closed earlier in the year but has now reopened.

Balme De Sillingy -(Not far from Annecy) again next to a lake and walking distance to the town.

Froncles - next to the canal and again a few minutes walk to the village. (Before Joinville)

Mareuil sur Ay - next to the canal. In the centre of the village. Entrance is difficult due to ongoing town development but follow the deviation and access commerces signs and you'll get there.

If you havent already tried it Arques near St Omer is well worth using before the ferry to the UK. It is right next to a lake and very scenic.

Thank you Petra :-D

We'll be stopping at Nantua, it is lovely - we found it last year. I'll look into Balme De Sillingy which sounds good!

I hadn't heard of Froncles so will check that out and we stayed at Mareuil sur Ay last year too (good pizza and champagne from the bar on the corner B-) ). And we've got Arques in the route.

Thanks again, much appreciated :-D

Thanks to all for ideas, we've come up with a route for the middle bit of our trip north. With a couple of weeks for this part we're going to be using the following aires, amongst others.

Cairanne

Aubignas

Hauterives

Lanslevillard

Les`Arcs

Annecy-le-Vieux

Sandrans

Dijon

Bray-sur-Seine

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l229/neilmac500/leg15.gif

We're really looking forward to spending this period in the Rhone-Alps and Burgundy as we have only really travelled through with a couple of stops before - this time we can have a good look about.

For those interested in blogs we'll be keeping ours up to date en route as far as internet access will allow. Hope to see some of you on the road....

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l229/neilmac500/MOST_P23.gif

Archived