Council MOT centres

J9withdogs

I've not heard about these. Apparently councils have MOT centres for their own vehicles which must be made available to the general public too.

They have no vested interest in failing your vehicle to gain lucrative repair work and may be able to cater for larger vehicles.

Here's a link to find the locations of these centres:

LINK

I always take ours to the local council depot for the MOT, it happens to be the nearest one that can take 7.5 tonne vans, apart from the VOSA HGV testing centre which is always booked up months in advance.

I've found then to be very fair.

Andy

If there is a Technical College that caters for training Apprentice Mechanics, they would be pleased to do the work. I believe you only pay for the parts used. If there is any other charge, it will not be much.

The work is done by apprentices but they are supervised by the trainers.

Technical colleges (I think they're called "colleges of art and technology" nowadays) don't do MOTs!

Yes Janine, local council workshops do usually have MOT facilities and if so they are supposed to do MOTs for the public, as you say they don't do the repairs so there is no ulterior motive for a failure. Telford And Wrekin council have such a facility at Donnington.

D.

Dave Newell - 2010-06-16 8:14 PM

Technical colleges (I think they're called "colleges of art and technology" nowadays) don't do MOTs!

Yes Janine, local council workshops do usually have MOT facilities and if so they are supposed to do MOTs for the public, as you say they don't do the repairs so there is no ulterior motive for a failure. Telford And Wrekin council have such a facility at Donnington.

D.

And Council Garages do not do repairs (as previously pointed out).

So what do you do if your van fails it`s MOT?

I was merely pointing out a cheaper source of rectifying faults to enable a vehicle to pass it`s MOT.

Obviously the hard times have not reached the Newell household. :-D

You didn't make it very clear though 747 and as the thread was about MOT testing at council workshops I didn't entirely see the relevance of your comments. As for hard times reaching our household, well I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that but if you're suggesting that I can afford to use a garage for MOT tests and repairs I suggest you check some facts out first. I run my own business, the neighbouring business is a large national chain garage and they do all our MOTs, I do the repairs myself for both our own vehicles and for customers.

See you next week 'cos we're off to Prestwold Hall in a few hours for the Great Summer Escape.

Cheers, D.

Dave Newell - 2010-06-17 7:39 AM

You didn't make it very clear though 747 and as the thread was about MOT testing at council workshops I didn't entirely see the relevance of your comments. As for hard times reaching our household, well I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that but if you're suggesting that I can afford to use a garage for MOT tests and repairs I suggest you check some facts out first. I run my own business, the neighbouring business is a large national chain garage and they do all our MOTs, I do the repairs myself for both our own vehicles and for customers.

See you next week 'cos we're off to Prestwold Hall in a few hours for the Great Summer Escape.

Cheers, D.

Noted.

I must remember to switch off my sense of humour when posting on this forum.

J9withdogs - 2010-06-16 8:52 AM

I've not heard about these. Apparently councils have MOT centres for their own vehicles which must be made available to the general public too.

They have no vested interest in failing your vehicle to gain lucrative repair work and may be able to cater for larger vehicles.

Here's a link to find the locations of these centres:

LINK

Practically all public and previously public bodies, ie BT etc have for the last 20 years have had to MOT vehicles and the facilities have to comply with commercial garages and the like. They are also required to carry out MOT's for the general public, but are not required to advertise other than display the MOT logo.

Unlike Councils, BT Fleet as it is known, not only carry out MOT's but also do servicing and repairs. BT Fleet now also maintain the AA's vehicles along with those of other organisations. I use BT all the time, brilliant service, and they also in my area, work shifts, so you can collect your vehicle up to 10.00pm !

Archived