'Chipping'?

Madmaggott

Derek,

Our motorhome prior to remapping in June could climb Birdlip Hill in Gloustershire using 4th & 3rd gear (loads of throttle), however, we did find towing across hilly Bromyard Down hard work, on occasions down to 2nd gear. It was at this point we decided we would benefit from an increase in torque. Fuel consumption approximately 27 solo/ 22 towing.

Travelling down to the Malverns across the Bromyards Downs the van was virtually empty and not towing, taking into concideration the bulk and weight of the van nearly 4 tons, the motorhome performed as well as could be expected.

Melvin,

I know Birdlip Hill well, so it sounds like your motorhome wasn't down on power before it was re-mapped.

All very odd - it makes one wonder whether the re-mapping is actually in place. Best to let Boosters have a look at it before you do too much more driving, just in case there's something genuinely wrong.

I have read this thread with interest. I have had a number of Ducato-based 'vans. My last (second-hand 2003 2.8JTD) came already chipped (in Germany) and I was very impressed. It had a very noticeable increase in power as well as increased economy (provided one was careful with the right foot). I change engine oil/filter etc every 3,000 miles and never experienced any problems over about 25,00o miles.

My latest Ducato (2006) is also a 2.8JTD with 127 bhp and I am thiking of having it chipped. I see that a Tunit chip is close to 500 quid and that there are many other makers selling for all sorts of different prices right down to under 100 pounds. I am sure that "you get what you pay for" but would ask if those of you who have gone the "chip" route could let me know what they think of the various makes. Any comments on Tunit for example?

Recommend a professional remap rather than a plug in box. All these do is over-fuel and indeed the economy would suffer as Brian K outlines.

I had a Swift Mondial with the Fiat 2.3. Sluggish and up and down the gears.

I got a professional remap done ( and it's untracable) by Torque Tecknics in N. Ireland and the difference was amazing.

120 BHP to 160

another 40 ft lbs or torque.

smooth as silk.

N. Ireland > England>France> Germany >Spain>N. Ireland MPG = 31

practically turned it into an automatic.

1st gear was redundant and hill climbs in 6th gear in the pyreneees done with ease.

Changed to a Bessacar E520 last week and the difference is massive, although it's a physically bigger motorhome it feels slow.

Appointment made to get it doctored next week

There is a huge difference to be had so I say do it.

One caveat - If you plan to go Ex Eastern bloc countries the quality of Desiel is not as good. This can make your engine Knock.

Iain

We have now had the 'new' van for a couple of months and I am informed that the engine is perfectly adequate for the vehicle.  Our previous van was on a Renault Master 2.5 120bhp and hubby reports that the Fiat is far quicker and the fuel economy is better although this van is bigger than the old one.

I haven't been able to claim the driving seat quickly enough yet so can't form an opinion but it does seem to be a smoother ride.  We are off again tomorrow so I'm intending to make himself open the gate so I can get a 'go'.  However, we'd had the old van more than 6 months before I managed to get a drive so don't hold your breath! lol

So in summary, we won't be getting the van chipped as it's fine anyway.

• 11 months later...

Hi,

Last year we had our Autotrail Cheynne 660 2.3 2008 motorhome remapped by BoostersUK, we could not notice any difference on the way home.

This year I gave Alex at BoostersUK a call and told them I would be at the Malvern Show, Alex looked at the remap again, this time it uploaded correctly, the motorhome now has significantly more torque especially at the bottom end of the power curve. What I was not expecting the engine seems to performing so much smoother. i am now a happy bunny.

Archived