Is the benefit system to generous?

Guest pelmetman

pelmetman - 2010-07-08 8:23 PM

So the available benefits must be higher to make it uneconomic for people to find work, or their workshy :D

Don't hang on every word spewed out by the red top rag mags.

Having worked with many young people trapped in the dire hopelessness which 'casual' agency employment gives them, I think you will find the large majority WANT to work, but the least they should have is a decent future and not this 'hire 'n fire' mentality which has crept in from across the pond.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2010-07-08 8:46 PM

pelmetman - 2010-07-08 8:23 PM

So the available benefits must be higher to make it uneconomic for people to find work, or their workshy :D

Don't hang on every word spewed out by the red top rag mags.

Having worked with many young people trapped in the dire hopelessness which 'casual' agency employment gives them, I think you will find the large majority WANT to work, but the least they should have is a decent future and not this 'hire 'n fire' mentality which has crept in from across the pond.

Nothing to do with red tops just basic maths, if a couple can earn 24k but choose not to there must be a reason 8-)

I rarely buy a national paper as they all have an agenda, I prefer to make up my own mind, although we do buy the local rag :-)

pelmetman - 2010-07-08 9:06 PM

Nothing to do with red tops just basic maths, if a couple can earn 24k but choose not to there must be a reason 8-)

Afraid the red tops would have us ALL believe the country is over run by millions of immigrants.....nobody works.....everyone lives off state benefits.....oh, and there's a paedophile on every street corner (mustn't forget that one!).

Anyway, it's about time you got knocking out some more pelmets. (lol)

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2010-07-08 9:54 PM

Anyway, it's about time you got knocking out some more pelmets. (lol)

Knocking out (!) don't you mean lovingly hand crafted by an artisan B-)

pelmetman - 2010-07-09 2:33 PM

Nope.

If you were knockin' 'em out by the thousand you wouldn't need tax credits to boost your income. (lol)

I'm actually amazed ANYONE still has pelmets in their homes. Last time I ever saw one it ended up on a bonfire when my dad ripped it out of the house I grew up in as a youngster. And that was a pre-war semi! (lol)

(btw.....if you don't go to mass production on the cheap, those east europeans will be taking your business off you (lol) )

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2010-07-09 3:49 PM

pelmetman - 2010-07-09 2:33 PM

Nope.

If you were knockin' 'em out by the thousand you wouldn't need tax credits to boost your income. (lol)

I'm actually amazed ANYONE still has pelmets in their homes. Last time I ever saw one it ended up on a bonfire when my dad ripped it out of the house I grew up in as a youngster. And that was a pre-war semi! (lol)

(btw.....if you don't go to mass production on the cheap, those east europeans will be taking your business off you (lol) )

If you read my original post it was because I was diverting turnover into starting another business rather than taking it as income that we qualified for tax credits, and to be honest we did not need it, which prompted me to think what the goverment thinks is existance benefit is to my mind extravegent 8-)

Mind you we are quite frugal, don't have sky or gym membership, I have not bought a new vehicle for 11 years, or have kids (lol)

With regard to pelmets, they have supplied us with a comfortable living for 20 years, and as their all made to measure our oriental friends cannot undercut me, one of the advantages of a niche market, a bit like the stool business all made to order not mass produced, fortunately there are people who appreciate the difference ;-)

Madmaggott - 2010-07-09 8:13 PMRegarding the point that most youngsters want to work.  It's true that they want to be employed and drawing a wage; whether they want to 'work' is another matter.

I think you are confusing or combining two seperate issues here. Those who don't ever want to work at all, with those who will get a job, but are basically bone idle.Let me just say this.From experience I have witnessed both. At my workplace there is one young lad in particular who springs to mind. He shows extraordinary politeness and respect towards old farts (like me!), and is prepared to turn out a decent days work. Sadly he is a casual employee with no permanent contract, so come the end of the year he will be thrown on the scrap heap once again.Another young lad with full a contract is the absolute opposite. Arrogant, cocky, bone idle and a 'dodger'. But he gets to stay.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2010-07-10 10:5

Let me just say this.

From experience I have witnessed both. At my workplace there is one young lad in particular who springs to mind. He shows extraordinary politeness and respect towards old farts (like me!), and is prepared to turn out a decent days work. Sadly he is a casual employee with no permanent contract, so come the end of the year he will be thrown on the scrap heap once again.

Another young lad with full a contract is the absolute opposite. Arrogant, cocky, bone idle and a 'dodger'. But he gets to stay.

I think you have highlighted just one of the numerous problems of the public sector, the fact that your incompetent you can not be sacked 8-) As shown by the Panorama the other night with regard to teachers, I also recall reading somewhere about 17,000 civil servants with no jobs but its cheaper to pay them than to make them redundant, I think they called it "the talent pool".

I know what I call >:-)

Archived