euro rates

duffers

mike 202 - 2010-06-28 7:10 AM

Duffers,

For cash, Crown Currency Exchange is the best. Buy on line or by phone and it is delivered to your door.

www.crowncurrencyexchange.com

mike

useful thanks,

but not a lot of good if my door is on a campsite / car park / aire somewhere

:D

ray

Hi,

You think you have troubles? We have just sold our cottage in France, will have €53,0000 to bring back.

At PARITY that would have been close on £53,000. But £ is now worth over €1.2 ....... so somehow we have lost £10,000.

Can I buy you something In France in exchange for you buying me something in UK ..... at old prices.

I assume you have an French bank account?  You could always leave the Euros on deposit, and see if the pound drops again. 

But then, what was the rate when you bought your cottage?  A little above 1.2 seems likely!  Unless you originally bought your Euros below 1.2, it seems you will not have lost anything, but are merely gaining a bit less than you had hoped for.  Count blessings?

A bit like the bloke who thought he'd lost money on a winner he'd forgotten to back!  :-)

Hi Brian,

We agreed to buy cottage when rate was £1 = €1.7.

Buy the time it was time to hand the cash over £1 = €1.5, and of course we had to pay in Euros. Not only that, the £1000 deposit we had given to the UK vendor was still in his bank, and now only worth about £900. Doh!

After the deal was done and dusted, vendor brought it all back to UK. Double Doh!

I have thought carefully about your wise words .... and decided that I don't like you either. :-D

Well, I suppose you could console yourselves a bit with the thought that had the pound returned to the level it was at when you originally bought, you would have dropped another £K10.  Not much of a silver lining, I admit, but losing £K10 is better than £K20, surely?  ;-)

It always strikes me as odd that our governments, of whatever colour, continually lecture us on the innate superiority of the way we do things this side of the ditch, while our currency has been gradually losing value against the currencies of those who live on the other side for as long as I can remember!

Surely, someone, one day, will spot the obvious, won't they?  Answers on a postcard, please!  :-)

Archived