New caravan V.A.T.

chippeysteve

I have been looking online at V.A.T. charged on new caravans and found out what i think could be interesting and wondered if i had got it right. Eighteen months ago we bought a new twin axle which is 8m total length, The information on the official website states that if a caravan is over 7m long not including the towing hitch/frame or 2.3m wide it is V.A.T. exempt. V.A.T. should only be paid on appliances etc, this could mean a saving of hundreds of pounds! When we bought our van it came to a total of £22,000 meaning our V.A.T. bill was £3380.00!

This means ( if i am correct ) i can claim back over £2.000

The big question is ; am i right? does any body know if this is correct? because if so ,there is an awful lot of money being taken by dealers, and is this how they can make us good "offers"

Yes I think you are reading right but you do not say how long your draw bar is. HM customs would go by the manufactures stated length not on your measurements so you need to check the spec.

Also was the VAT total clearly stated on the invoice?

If you did have a case I think you may have left it far to long to make any claim.

Archived