Edison Plug

zaria123

Can I pick you guys brains?

We got a 12V tv for the motorhome, which operates from 12V via a cigar lighter stye socket.

We don't have any of those apart from the actual one in the cab, so we bought a cigar socket convertor with a 2 pin caravan plug on the end, only to realise its different.

We thought they were all the same and standard.

The one we bought which seems to be the only one available is a small square plug, with two same sized plat pins which are slightly angled.

Our motorhome is fitted with a socket featuring one small and one large pin set one above the other......we found reference to one of these on the net being referred to as an Edison Plug....

Is this unusal, or is it the age of our motorhome (2003)? If so where can we buy a cigari lighter converter fitted with an Edison Plug?

Thanks again

Alan

Why not just change the socket in the van to something better.

There is a whole range of 12 volt fittings available for caravans and motorhomes.

Most dealerships and accessory shops stock them. In fact, if you only have one 12 volt outlet, think about having an extra one or two fitted.

I had a later model Elddis which had a combined TV aerial and power take off socket on the same square fitting which was mounted flush on the side wall of the wardrobe, next to a small folding TV shelf.

Hi Guys

Thanks and Yes thats the plug, and yes thats the socket combo I;m looking for.

My Elddis also has a combined Aerial and Power socket which uses this the plug mentioned in the links below.

747 does your have a combined socket with cigar lighter type fitting?

Cheers Guys

:-D

Hi zaria,

I no longer have the Elddis. My latest one is German with continental sockets. I had to change all my plug in connectors for it. :'(

My 56 reg Elddis had the 2 flat pins for the 12 volt connnections.

Try to move away from the cigar type fittings as they are big and `orrible looking. Have a look on CAK Tanks website. From memory, they stock a large range of electrical fittings. You could just google `12 volt electrical fittings`

If you are temporarily using the cigar lighter socket in the cab area, make sure you do not run down your vehicle battery. On the Elddis models, the engine battery does not get charged up while on hook up. There is an easy fix for that thanks to Mr Clive Mott (who is an active member of this forum). He is terribly good looking as well. :D

Archived