Chausson Flash 04

Hawcara

Have been reading articles etc by Minx and am very interested in Flash 04.

Can you tell me if you were impressed or otherwise with the dealer?

I read somewhere that Chausson only kept spares for about 2 years for each model type, is this true or rubbish?

What are people's experience with Chausson?

Thank you

:->

Bought ours June 09 had a couple of minor issues which we sorted ourselves, been very pleased with the van so no problems there. Not all that happy with the dealer (even though I had dealt with them for nearly 20 years for caravan and accesories etc etc) seem to have lost there way since they changed there name anyway thats another story. As for chausson well I did have reason to email them due to the poor service I didnt get from the dealer and they did reply and I think they contacted the dealer cos all of a sudden the dealer contacted me regarding the on going supply under warranty issue of 50p worth of table fitting (still not got it but thats another story also and now I have given up on ev er getting it)

So in conclusion .....

van excelent

dealer rubbish

manufacturer no worse than any other

Would I buy another chausson...yes

would I buy from same dealer...prob not

Look for the postings by 'Mel B' who I think has recently acquired one of these.

We have a 2008 Challenger Genesis 34+ which is the same / similar layout to the 04. Build quality is OK -a bit slapdash in places. We like the Mk7 tranist although for some reason we have had to have the clutch cylinder replaced twice in less than 20,000 miles.

That said with the 6 speed box it has plenty of power and returns 30mpg for us. It is quite a light MH so payload is good and generally lower priced than many.

French manufacturer may be a bit tardy in supply of parts. However with the exception of the pastic bumper and trims -which I feel are a tad flimsy- it uses standard parts. Also check if fitted the Remi rooflight -there were some issues which could lead to it flying off while driving.

If your articles by 'Minx' were on the Motorhome Fun' Forum, then I think that you will find that the same writer ( and recent purchaser of a Flash 04) is 'Mel B' on this forum -- there are certainly many posts (and a picture or two) concerning her choice of 'van and how she has found it to perform -- most recently on a tour of Scotland. A search for 'Mel B' 'Chausson Flash 04' should turn up something!

Cheers,

Colin.

Thank you one and all.

Yes I had read Mel B's stuff and that is what began an interesting voyage.

The van seems similar to the small Hymer van range, but rather more reasonable price wise.

We have yet to see one in the flesh but we are going to the NEC in October so hope to see one there, before taking the plunge.

Mel has been very useful, so to speak, as she passed on the skillet cooking arrangement, (on another forum, which now charges for the privilege) which we have found to be excellent. :-D

Famous at last ... on infamy .... not sure which! :D

My secret is out, Minx is me! Only because the MHFun forum already had a Mel B and as Judgemetal had been calling me a Minx at the time it was all I could think of! :$

Anyway, currently sat in my Chausson Flash 04 at Dinas Dinlie next to the beach with a few other motorhomes. Lovely views of the mountains with the mist and rain coming over them. Just about to attack some apple pie with cream .... yummie! :->

The Chausson Flash is performing perfectly for us, couldn't have asked for a more suitable van. Managed to cure some of the draughts, especially the one from behind the grill (still just 'worrying toast' though ... gonna attack it again when we get home).

Two tired doggies flat out on the bed ... well what else is a fixed bed for if not as a giant dog bed!!!! :D

Off to have a quick wander round the forum ... I'll write again when I get a signal for my dongle. first one since I was last on!

Hi Minx, Mel etc, thank you for your input.

I noticed on another part of this forum that you commented on scooter racks. Do you use a rack on the Flash or do you have any comments if one would be safe on the chassis?

On another point, did you get good service from the dealer?

Any other stuff you have found out about the van would be interesting.

Thank you

Enjoy your trip 8-)

Er sorry about that IPS and others. It is just that I know where Minx bought van and wanted comments as did not want to name on this site, poss breach of rules if comments were negative.

Equally Minx made a comment regarding scooter racks.

However, would always be interested in others feedback if available.

No offence was intended. 8-)

So go on then Ian (ips) ... give the nice lady (?) your comments! :-D *-)

We found the chaps at Highbridge very pleasant an would certainly go to them again. With the distance being so great for us though, not only did we have to have confidence in the dealer, but also that the deal was good, otherwise it wouldn't have made sense financially to go there. We know from experience that a lot of the stuff that goes into a motorhome can be fixed by the various manufacturer's agents, and doesn't have to go back to the selling dealership, so it was only if there were major faults or things dropping off that we'd really need to go back to them, which we haven't had to (I do so hope I do NOT live to regret writing that! 8-) ).

Apart from the lady in the service reception (Monday morning blues?), everyone else was very friendly and nothing was too much trouble.

Scooter racks ... we haven't had one fitted as we decided we wouldn't take the scooter with us after all so we've sold it, however, as the chassis is all set up for towing etc, just needing the addition of a bar extension and tow ball adding, I wouldn't expect it to be a problem at all. As we're finding that we're not having any trouble parking etc, so long as we are sensible and don't expect to get in the spot that a Smartcar would, we're managing fine, by putting it's pert little bottom over the edge of a spot, over grass etc, we can get it into a normal car bay. Plus the van has a very good turning circle which is a great help for tight manouvring.

The removable worktop extension I made works a treat and I added a small switched fluorescent light near the side of the wardrobe/in front of the grill housing, which nicely lights up the inside of the wardrobe and also means I can see into the drawers under the steps on a night without having to resort to using a torch, and also if we have to get up in the night, it is less disturbing to the other party than putting on the reading lights above the bed. I also put up a couple of 'racks/shelves', either side of the bed for cups, glasses etc.

Oh just remembers other stuff I've done - can't remember if I'd put them on my other threads so just in case didn't ... ! :D

Rear of the wardrobe door - I've got a couple of hooks which take the dish drainer, and the worktop extension with a securing swivel bracket, when not in use. A nice tea/coffee/sugar set on a little shelf (£1 from a cheap shop a few years ago which is fitted on the side of the wardrobe under the grill housing, kitchen roll holder under the rear of the grill housing over the sink ... lots of coat hooks over the side facing seat - perfect for all our coats, dog leads, rucksacks/bags etc. Plant pot trough, oblong, fits nicely on the floor behind the drivers seat for all the dog toys ... can someone tell me how may balls does a dog really needs??? 8-) I fitted the fire extinguisher behind the dinette seat next to the washroom, there's a nice gap for it - easy to get at but out of the way. A few more hooks have been added to the washroom - can't have enough in there! Plus as I also had a pull out drying rack from a previous van this has replaced the single towel rail, which has been moved lower down.

The only issue we've really had has nothing to do with the van, but rather with the mattress topper which like to try to sneak off the bed when we're not looking! This is basically because there's nothing to stop it. To solve this I've made a bespoke 'tuck-in-able' cover for it out of an old double duvet cover - the topper (which has been cut to shape to match the mattress) goes in the centre of the cover and is pushed right down to the bottom (the duvet cover is upside down with the opening at the top), with equal widths of the cover having been left at either side. These have been stitched from top to bottom to form a shaped tight fit cover up against the sides of the topper. This stops the topper moving around in the duvet cover and the side and the top are then tucked in to stop it 'escaping' off the bed all the time, as you would tuck in a normal sheet. I then put a sheet on top (I use fitted terry sheets as they are less hassle than wrestling with a standard sheet). I'm going to make a slight change to the design by putting 'corners' in the topper duvet cover, like standard fitted sheets, to make it a bit easier, but otherwise it's working well. Thinking of calling it a topper stopper!!!! :D

Archived