Small City Cars ... thoughts please

Mel B

Now then you lot .... :-D

Not specifically motorhome related, but it is a request for info from some who do have small cars as tow cars or as general runabouts, alongside their motorhomes .. plus if I put this posting in the chatterbox section no one will flipping well look at it!!!!! :$

We've been looking at our current situation and future plans and, as some of you will know from previous postings, we were already contemplating selling our car and just using our new motorhome along with our 2 scooters for transport. However, for the time being we would like to keep a car for bit longer to see how we get on before doing without completely if, of course, we subsequently decide to do that after all anyway.

As our current car (Renault Megane Dynamic 1.6, 57 reg) will be needing a service and road tax in a couple of months (probably costing in the region of £350ish), followed by a MOT early next year (which it should sail though), it got us thinking about what we would really like rather than just carrying one with what we have. I'd perfer something a bit smaller (de ja vu ... that's why we changed the motorhome! *-) ) so we decided to have a little shuftie today to see what was 'out there' and if it was a feasible option.

We were looking for a small secondhand car but there are some stonking deals on at the moment for small new cars as some are being heavily discounted by the dealers/manufacturers for cash purchasers, to the extent that the deals are as so good, I could only get a second hand 2 year old car in some cases for the same money (same spec) - so now we are definitely considering this option (selling our current car privately of course). :D Some have 3, 5 or even 7 year warranties with them too and the running costs are a lot less - no more than £30 road tax, group 1 insurance - so much cheaper running costs etc, etc.

Now for the important bit ... I know some of you have these smaller economical cars, such as the Fiat Punto, Citroen C1, Renault Twingo etc, (we're looking at the base model forms which, to be fair, aren't that bad spec wise!) so I just wondered if anyone has any constructive comments they'd like to make, good and bad, and any particular cars they'd recommend, or not. (no just slagging them off for the sake of it please!).

I like the Punto as it's got 5 doors and is 'square' (I like square .... *-) ) plus I can get it in my favourite colour for a small car - pale yellow (don't ask!), but the other cars also have things I like too, like remote central locking for the Twingo with radio controls on the steering column, and the C1 is soooooo cute! :$ I need help ... (yes, I know I do, but not in that way at the moment 8-) ) ... with choosing a small car.

So come on, lets be having your views please ... :->

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Mel

We went down this route last year.

Previously a Honda Accord Tourer, but could not justify it for pottering about, as if we are going any distance we would use the motorhome for my wife's disability.

We needed something "upright" so that I don't have to collapse her wheelchair to get it in the car, every time we go out. (Rear seats folded)

For us there was only one model where the boot is not a recessed well.

We now have a Suzuki Splash, although the Vauxall Agila is the same vehicle differently badged. Sure there was a Renault badged equiv., but from memory a lot more expensive.

We have the 1.2 GLS+, but there is also a 1.0 litre version, or 1.3 diesel which I think both fall into the £35 RFL bracket (but check)

16 months on, no problems whatsoever & fill to fill consumption always over 50mpg, this is all around town mileage.

So we are well pleased with it.

Not sure what the 1.0 lire petrol or 1.3 litre diesel will achieve, but would expect them to better our 1.2 petrol.

Hi Eddie

Thanks for the suggestions, I've looked at the Honda Jazz but it's about £10,000, which is £3,500-£4,000 more than the others due to the offers on them at the moment, eg:

Citroen C1 £6,495

Fiat Punto £5,995

Renault Twingo £5,995

As our current car is worth around £6,000 as a private sale (good spec, low mileage), it would be pretty much a straightforward swap, I don't really want to put more money in if I can help it. :-S

Stop press ... hubby's just spotted a Microcar for sale on Ebay (quirky little things) .... I could be in trouble!!!! 8-) ;-)

Hi,

If you have money in the bank, leave it there. KIA dealers are doing NIL deposit, 0% interest, 5 years to pay, deal (or at least, Gravell's of Kidwelly are). Drive out the showroom, bring it back for first service after 1 year or 10,000 miles. £35 road tax. Picanto has twin air-bags and air conditioning.

For some reason, this dealer in a one-horse town is selling 1500 cars a year.

My wife bought one. Not single complaint ...... apart from £135 road tax. So 365 days later she traded it for another with now £35 road tax. 18 months later, still not a single fault or complaint.

While in a showroom (looking for a double cab 4x4) she spied a IQ.

"Very nice", she said. "But my Picanto does everything I want, and how can you improve on that? Pay an extra £4 - 5,000 and lose my yonks of warranty? No thanks!"

Guest JudgeMental

You can get an 09 ex demo Jazz with 2-3 thousand miles for around £8000 +

It is in a different league from your other 3 examples. (Punto has a horrible gear change/box) and the Jazz is a proper car, I think you would soon get fed up of the novelty factor and limitations of a C1

the new fiesta is nice as well....... :-D

I bought thr Suziki alto with the three legged donkey and top speed of 95 5 doors air-con and over 60 to the gall and is extremely comfortable and the long term test car for motor express can accomodate a 6'7" driver with no probs. Best car I have had at 7000 brand new but you can get them for 5000 with a bit of talking.

Hi Mel

not sure if this is in your thoughts but we opted for a 5 door 2008 Toyota Yaris 1.3 SR

Some reasons we chose this

- Came in just under 1000kg which met my requirement for being towed (although we can tow upto 1250kg)

- Low immissions so Tax low (but wifes gets Road tax paid anyway)

- Insurance is low.

- Me being 6ft 2 I have great problems driving some cars with limited leg room - but I've been fine in Yaz , in fact I opted to drive it down to Cheltenham last weekend rather then our Focus.

- The rear seats can be slid forward giving more room in the boot but not affecting too greatly juniors space in the back. At the time we had to large dogs so needed decent boot space , not such a concearn since loosing one of them.

-Drives like a go cart which puts a smile on my face.

-Wifes gets about 39-40mpg but she's only doing short stop-start runs.

-Good deal from Toyota dealer , good warranty and (despite recent recalls) well built and reliable.

-Good level of spec - would like electic rear windows but not important.

I've always been a big car person but since we had the Yaz I'm really taken with smaller cars now , I really like how nippy the Yaz is , parking is a doddle and some , like the Alfa Mito , Mini Cooper are really sporty looking cars and head turners despite their proliferation

Guest JudgeMental
rupert123 - 2010-07-28 1:06 PM

New fiesta diesel, the economy one, 70 plus mpg no road tax. Fiat 500 diesel same figures.

tried the fiesta tdci the other week it is a nice car and we may get one later this year....

Hi Mel,

I have a Toyota Aygo ( 4/5 door ) £35 per annum Road Tax and cheap to insure!

It's got a 1.00ltr 3 cylinder engine ( no cam belt to renew! ) Does about 60mls to gal approx. I'm very pleased with it and fits the bill for our needs perfectly! The boot is very small but the back seats easily fold down to carry more luggage (or rubbish ! )

Peugeot and Citroen do similar models with same engine gearbox etc and slightly different body shape.

I would say that the Peugeot and Citroen versions would probably be cheaper than the Toyota.

Well worth considering if you are looking for a small runabout and /or towing !

Mel - do have a really good look at the small Kia's.

Awesome value for money, 7 year warranty, brilliant build quality, cheap as chips, fantastic reliability.

And you can get a brand new one on interest-free credit, so you can put the money you get from selling yours on deposit and earn a bit of interest on it, as you gradually use it up to pay the monthly payments for the new car.

Hi Mel

We have a Citreon C1 which we also tow behind us-Mrs uses it for day to day runabout and cannot fault it.

Good Points:-all standard not options

5 doors

£20 pa road tax

Group 1 insurance

Central Locking

Air Con

CD player

60mpg

Metalic Paint

Cost

Easy to park

Bad Points:

Small boot-but who needs a big one?

Lacks a bit of oomph on steep hills

No size discount at car wash

Can't think of anything else that is negative on this car-it's a lovely little runabout and you don't even feel it when you're towing. We are so happy with it, our daughter is in the process of buying one for herself

Hope this helps

Mike

Check out which ones are free of the dreaded cam belts.

The wife,s Agila has a chain driven camshaft. Its an 05 reg 1.2 "Enjoy" and has many advantages, especially for me. A high seating position to suit long legs and you can get 6 full size plastic dustbins in the back if you fold down the rear seats, just 2 bins if you don't. The new Agila for us is not a patch on the older "Postman Pat" model. (Like wot she got!) because its closer to a mini hatch and not a mini MPV.

C.

Guest Tracker

A lot depends on your enjoyment of driving for driving's sake rather than simply as a shopping cart?

We had a Honda Jazz a few years back and a cracking good car it was too, although as far as driving pleasure goes with numb steering, road noise at speed, firm ride and overlight controls it was not very involving or entertaining to drive.

Nevertheless the 1.4 motor revved joyfully when asked, the gearchange was slick, the brakes good and it was very spacious and totally reliable as well as not suffering too badly in the depreciation stakes. When we tire of Jags, BMWs and 4x4s we may well have another Jazz!

Personally I would prefer a two year old Jazz to a new 'cheaper' small car if for no other reason than the worst of the depreciation has passed.

Changing a car simply to save money in running costs never has made much economic sense and if your current car is sound in wind and limb what you pay in ongoing higher running costs will be more than offset by what you don't pay in depreciation losses.

My wife has a Peugeot 107, she liked it initially because of the colour - bright yellow. The car is fantastic. £85 to service, cheap on fuel, tax £35.

I agree with all other comments. I am 6'4" and I can get in and drive it about. Its a bit small in the back, but is ideal for my wife to whizz around in.

It zooms up Cornish hills. It is only a 3 door, but you can get a 5 door.

If you do go for a new car try www.drivethedeal.co.uk

They beat the local dealer by £1000 at the time.

Car came all the way from Stafford on a transporter and was not an import.

Hope this helps

When through it all with my daughter earlier in the year, we tried out Kia's, Hyundai, Suzuki & Skoda's.

The smaller Kia's tend to be older technology I've nothing against Kia's I'm on my second one (Sedona), Suzuki ride quality was horrible, Hyundai car was reasonable dealer was dreadful. The Skoda Fabia build quality was great, spec for a basic model was good & only £500 extra for aircon.

Four months on & the Skoda was the right decision.

I've had a Peugeot 207 & a Fiat Punto when the Motorhome was in for service/gearbox mods, the Punto was a great drive liked it a lot, the Peugeot all I can say is that it was probably the worst modern car I've ever driven.

Mel,

I've got a Hyundai i10,it is a 1.2,chain driven engine so no dreaded cam belts.£35 per year road tax, very good base level spec central locking,electric windows at front,4 air bags, air con, cd player with aux input,super economy,I'm averaging @50+ mpg.5 door with good headroom at front. 5 year unlimited mileage warranty,all in all a super little car. Hyundai also do a service deal where you can pay monthly for your service and the prices are fixed for whatever term you take.

Well worth a look.

Stew :-D

Mel,

I've got a Hyundai i10,it is a 1.2,chain driven engine so no dreaded cam belts.£35 per year road tax, very good base level spec central locking,electric windows at front,4 air bags, air con, cd player with aux input,super economy,I'm averaging @50+ mpg.5 door with good headroom at front. 5 year unlimited mileage warranty,all in all a super little car. Hyundai also do a service deal where you can pay monthly for your service and the prices are fixed for whatever term you take.

Well worth a look.

Stew :-D

Guest Tracker

Why all this paranoia about cam belts?

Most of 'em only need changing at 60000 miles plus or over 4 years or so and how many of you will keep your car that long?

And even if you do keep it long enough the cost of a new cambelt is a mere fraction of the cost of a new car and is well worth paying to get the car that suits your needs the best at the best price?

Why worry about something that very rarely occurs and if it does worry you why not simply extend the warranty - still cheaper than a new car?

Guest Tracker

I've NEVER had a belt fail in almost 50 years of driving over 500,000 miles?

Not all of it with belt driven camshafts granted but you maybe get the idea?

I don't like 'em - but I'm convinced too!

But I also agree - it's crap cheap cost cutting engineering!

Much better now these days ,,, need to change at 60,000 Mls and disregard the sales pitch of longer changes,,,chances of breaking very slim indeed,,Find a small car you love, and keep it well serviced and ENJOY.

Regards,

Brendan

Archived