Sell the motorhome & get a Caravan???

Stewart Hendry

Mel B - 2010-08-07 8:53 PM
Brian Kirby - 2010-08-06 11:58 PM
Mel B - 2010-08-06 10:25 PM .............. with a small aire ..........

I've heard of tight parking on aires, is this a new record?

Flipping heck Brian ... you're on the ball! *-) Unfortunately fingers not too good at the moment (being hammered at work), hence the typos in several posts ... :-( Now don't you go trying to park you 'van there!!! :D

Don't see why not, ours isn't as fat as yours!  :-D

Mel B - 2010-08-07 8:51 PM

... me thinks you are confusing screens - i.e. like silver screens that are removable - with blinds which are attached .... :-S

Not really - as all the windows on a caravan are the double glazed type. I am not surprised that removable insulation type ones are required for the windscreen and cabin doors on a MH - I would certainly have them as I would think they are a necessity given the single sheet of glass that makes up the windows of the cab of a MH.

My point is that with the acrylic double glazed windows, reflective blinds and thermal curtains on a caravan that from my experience keeps the cvan wonderfully warm and cozy in winter and cool in summer, do I need anything else!

I would if as you suggest - we only had curtains - then maybe. But we don't.

What is interesting tho is that when we do get our MH - as we intend to do - I will make sure it has such blinds as we will have dogs and I will want to make sure that the cab bit of the motorhome does not heat up as my car can do in hot weather.

Clive - you do it your way, I'll do it mine. :-D

All I know is that by putting the additional reflective screen material between our 'double glazed' acrylic motorhome habitation windows and the closed blinds (to keep them in place) it cuts down the heat even more.

Conversely, in winter it stops some of the cold coming through too - I found this out with our Rimor which had a transverse rear bed above a garage, and as I used to sleep at the very back next to a 5ft rear window, even with the blind closed and the thermal curtains drawn, there was still some cold coming through and I used to be frozen some nights. By 'sandwiching' the screen material between the double glazed window and the closed blind (curtains drawn too!), the added extra insulation certainly cut the cold down so I was much more snug. :D

I think we all want to do our own thing! and thank goodness for that (lol)

I have already made a mental note to look at getting one of these thermal blinds for the window of the caravan next to our fixed bed in the cvan. Last year winter it was that cold that the cold air drop off the window was more than I have ever experienced before - it was not much fun as the one who sleeps next to that wall to wake up in early hours with a freezing cold bum despite our being nice and warm otherwise with the background heating on. So I think this idea of yours is a good one and one I shall try if we have another really cold winter.

And my interest in MH's and dogs is genuine because I have dogs and we do plan to tour in a MH in the future - BUT - and it is a big but - I had always considered a MH, with its driving cab, to be kind off part car/part caravan. And so am concerned about how "cool" a MH would be for the dogs if we tour Southern Europe which is our plan.

It was this point I could not fathom as to why with a windscreen and cab doors a motor home would be that much better than a car for leaving dogs in?

I will take your word for it Mel that it is and I can see that it would be with the extra blinds etc - because on comparison we can keep our caravan cool - without air/con - by using the standard fit blinds and when really hot, the roof vent fan that sucks out hot air and draws cooler air in from under the caravan.

If you can negate the green house effect of windscreen and cab doors I can see how it would work.

I think where you confused me (it is quite easy!) is when you said that caravans don't have blinds - they only have curtains.

Evening Clive :-D

I'll let you know how we get on - we're off to France on Thursday, travelling down to the south, possibly into Spain if we get time, then back up again - 25 days ... such bliss!!!!

I just hope there isn't a flipping heatwave though!!! The last heatwave we had, on our first foray to France in 2005 when it reached 41 degrees in May in Cognac, was not joke - we and the dogs were melting so we high-tailed it back up to northern parts where it was a bit cooler! B-)

Archived