Black stains from rubber window surrounds

mikemelson

Hi

Had the same problem over the years with various vehicles, the problem is the rubbers are starting to degrade what I have done for a while now is when polishing the vehicle I also polish the side windows and the rubbers, this protects the rubbers and stops them putting the black stains on the bodywork. It sometimes takes a couple of goes to seal them up, the other benefits are that it protects them from the elements and as far as the glass is concerned the rain just runs off them. I have recently been trying some of the clear stuff that you can get for black plastic bumpers and side mouldings, this also seems to work well and is as easy to use.

Most of the time it isn't the window rubbers that create the staining.

It simply channels the water into small 'rivers' and all the rubbish from the roof etc stains the bodywork.

A clean roof normally means no staining ;-)

It's not the roof, my roof is spotless, I get up on a ladder & wash it when I clean the van. The problem is the rubber window surrounds, after a time they degrade & if you rub them with a cloth, it becomes black especially after a few weeks in the heat of southern spain. There must be something that can be applied to the deteriorating rubber to seal it.

Spraying with Silicone furniture polish works. Or any polish with Silicone excluding car polish, as it will leave a white powdery finish. You can get a black silicone polish from a car shop that's used for black dashboards etc.

• 3 months later...
Guest Peter James
BGD - 2010-08-23 5:51 PM

I've often wondered why they don't use white-coloured rubber sealing strips.

More expensive I suppose........

I've got them on my double glazing. Colour degrades and yellows at a different rate, making an unattractive contrast with the different shade of white surround. Would be more noticeable on a vehicle you see up close.

I agree with EJB its not always the window rubber, but the muck that comes down with the rain onto the roof.

I cleaned the roof particularly well last Wednesday, Thursday morning black streaks down the side, nowhere near the windows. The window surrounds are plastic so not degrading.

When we had a van with rubber seals I used a silicone polish on them this did seem to work fairly well.

David

I used to use a spray product for rubber seals called 'armor-all' and it worked a treat. Don't know if they still make it as I have not seen it for a while. I now use a silicone spray straight on to a soft cloth then smear it on all the rubber seals and it appears to work quite well. To get rid of the black streaks that are a bit stubborn if left to dry I use 'Muck Off' spray straight on to the stained area before washing.

peter - 2010-08-23 11:33 PM

Spraying with Silicone furniture polish works. Or any polish with Silicone excluding car polish, as it will leave a white powdery finish. You can get a black silicone polish from a car shop that's used for black dashboards etc.

You will need to keep the silicon away from any Fibre-Glass as it can have a detrimental effect on the gel coat. Rapido point this out in no uncertain fashion in their hand book.

• 7 months later...
BGD - 2010-08-23 5:51 PM

I've often wondered why they don't use white-coloured rubber sealing strips.

More expensive I suppose........

Quite simple the carbon black protects from uv degradation. White rubber ones would not last very long before they began to break down. That is why trims and wiper blades etc are almost always black.

mikemelson - 2010-08-23 6:16 PM

It's not the roof, my roof is spotless, I get up on a ladder & wash it when I clean the van. The problem is the rubber window surrounds, after a time they degrade & if you rub them with a cloth, it becomes black especially after a few weeks in the heat of southern spain. There must be something that can be applied to the deteriorating rubber to seal it.

What younger seeing is not the sort of dirt you are thinking of that can be washed off the roof. What causes the black streaks is small particles of dirt carried in the rain. Think diesel particles from vehicle exhaust. Washing the roof of will keep the vehicle clean but will not stop the streaks. Our Auto-Trail has no window at the back and has black streaks all down the back. Our previous Rapido had a window at the back and the rain was channeled down the side of the window giving black streaks. We get no black streaks from the windows on the side of our Auto-Trail because the upstanding on the roof channels the water to the front and back rather than down the side.

I know of no way you can prevent them but if you treat the area or better still the whole of you outfit with a good quality marine polish they will be very much easier to remove. If they are still difficult a little of the polish on a cloths will instantly remove them.

Archived