Chinese Lanterns

tonyfletcher

Hi

I know these look very pretty on the TV adverts as they grace the sky, but spare a thought to where they eventually come down. It could be on an Awning/Privacy Room or recently a local orn field which are currently tinder dry.

The worst case senario would be for the metal part of the lantern to come down in cattle grass which would probably kill the animal if digested.

If you see anyone on your travels using these things please politely advise them on the above

Many Thanks

Tony

Guest JudgeMental
while these lanterns are lovely (we saw loads of them in Thailand) they are a hazard. causing havoc on the coast, with lifeboats being called out unnecessarily as they get mistaken for flares..........

Are they any worse than 2.25 Kg of explosive sent skyward in a metal canister containing some very hot burning metals an chemicals?

That's just one display rocket!

Failure rate is low, but some fail to ignite and land somewhere, sometimes still burning.

I am glad I haven't got a thatched roof!

hallii

It was in our local paper the other day that one set off in Skegness had landed on a roof of one of the caravans, burnt through the skylight and set fire to the caravan. Luckily the owners were around and managed to get the fire out but imagine if it had been unoccupied. There is now a proposal to try and get them banned.

Bulletguy - 2010-08-26 6:12 PM

Oh brother........

I can think of many far worse things that want banning. Like folk forever preaching potty 'elf 'n safety, waving the 'rule book' around and whining and moaning everytime anyone dares as much to show signs of enjoying a little pleasure. *-)

Hear, hear! Billy Connolly calls them 'weary willies' - "Thou Shalt Not..."

Lighten up guys!

OOOOOPS :D :D :D

i was at a rally when i witnest one of these lanterns being held by one person so another person could light it but when that person holding it let go, the wind took it sideways before it started rising ,lucky it went away from there awning.as my father was a fire officer i think they are very dangerous and are a accident waiting to happen,and whats more i was told they cost around a £10 ,they must have money to burn

njw - 2010-08-26 7:28 PM

i was at a rally when i witnest one of these lanterns being held by one person so another person could light it but when that person holding it let go, the wind took it sideways before it started rising ,lucky it went away from there awning.as my father was a fire officer i think they are very dangerous and are a accident waiting to happen,and whats more i was told they cost around a £10 ,they must have money to burn

Google Chinese Lanterns, learn how to make them, learn how to light them .buy some £10 Quid for ten, expensive ?????????????????? Life has been dangerous since the invention of Gunpowder, ask GUIDO FAWKES, lighten up folks your a long time dad :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o

njw - 2010-08-26 7:28 PM

Google Chinese Lanterns, learn how to make them, learn how to light them .buy some £10 Quid for ten, expensive ?????????????????? Life has been dangerous since the invention of Gunpowder, ask GUIDO FAWKES, lighten up folks your a long time dead :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o

Dave Newell - 2010-08-26 6:13 PM

I might be wrong but I thought they only came down when the fire bit had burned out so it would therefore be cold by the time it hit land wouldn't it?

D.

Not wrong no.....you are 100% right.

Its just something else for a few folk to get paranoid about though.

Of course you are right,so lets ban them and Fireworks, Balloons that charities release, balloon races, plastic bags that are windblown, we are not missing any points just being realistic ,life is a hazard, shall we all stay in bed and wait for God ??????????? (lol) (lol) (lol)

Of course you are right,so lets ban them and Fireworks, Balloons that charities release, balloon races, plastic bags that are windblown, we are not missing any points just being realistic ,life is a hazard, shall we all stay in bed and wait for God ??????????? (lol) (lol) (lol)

I think they are very pretty.

How stupid do you think cows are?

You are substantially more likely to get hit by lightning.

Just enjoy, or make a list of very slightly hazardous things that you enjoy doing or seeing and imagine life without those too.

Nick

tonyfletcher - 2010-08-27 11:56 AM

Hi Guys,

I think some of you have missed the point!, the fire hazzard is just 1 issue, perhaps you could explain to the farmers how the metal framework ended up in the animals stomach.

Think Twice

Tony

Do you have any links to actual evidence of this Tony......or is it simply yet another case of surmising?

Can we have some links to fires proven to be caused by Chinese Lanterns and dead cows lying around in fields after having eaten a lantern? Maybe then we could all take this nonsensical paranoia a little bit more seriously.

Otherwise you may well be advised to stay indoors for the rest of your life...............................for fear of a Chinese Lantern landing on your head. *-)

We get quiet a lot at weekends when there is a wedding reception at the local Hotel. The youngsters next door have been told its a new way of getting your chinese meal delivered. So i watch the sky in anticipation of short landing and a free meal..

Bulletguy - 2010-08-28 12:05 AM

tonyfletcher - 2010-08-27 11:56 AM

Hi Guys,

I think some of you have missed the point!, the fire hazzard is just 1 issue, perhaps you could explain to the farmers how the metal framework ended up in the animals stomach.

Think Twice

Tony

Do you have any links to actual evidence of this Tony......or is it simply yet another case of surmising?

Can we have some links to fires proven to be caused by Chinese Lanterns and dead cows lying around in fields after having eaten a lantern? Maybe then we could all take this nonsensical paranoia a little bit more seriously.

Otherwise you may well be advised to stay indoors for the rest of your life...............................for fear of a Chinese Lantern landing on your head. *-)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/agriculture/farming/7127935/Farmers-call-for-ban-on-Chinese-lanterns.html

Just an example - if you GOOGLE on "chinese lantern animal" you'll get plenty more.

I would have thought that, when cereal crops are ripe and dry, it's just common sense not to have this type of toy floating around in rural areas where there's even the slightest possibility it will set light to fields. Not sure about the level of risk these lanterns represent to livestock, but cows, sheep, horses, etc. aren't exactly Einsteins when it comes to recognising danger.

Derek Uzzell - 2010-08-28 8:59 AM

I would have thought that, when cereal crops are ripe and dry, it's just common sense not to have this type of toy floating around in rural areas where there's even the slightest possibility it will set light to fields. Not sure about the level of risk these lanterns represent to livestock, but cows, sheep, horses, etc. aren't exactly Einsteins when it comes to recognising danger.

I dread to think of the "slightest possibility" a hot air balloon presents in "setting fields alight", combined with the methane from a few hundered cows farting away which could annihilate the local populace. Funny but nobody seems to get so excited about that.

Maybe because a cow hasn't decided to eat one.............yet. Or maybe because it's just too silly and we've come to accept these gigantic 'lanterns' floating over the countryside. But then on second thoughts ballooning does involve people enjoying themselves, so we ought to put a stop to that.

Hi everyone..as you'll see,this is my first post on this forum(so go easy on me !:$ )

..I felt the need to just say that I'm usually very much against too much health n safety " nannying",however in the case of these lanterns,there have apparently been cases of the wire frames ending up being ingested by cattle..They're not just eating them off the ground as such(..as pointed out earlier,they're not stupid ;-) ) but it seems the wire frames are getting chopped up by the harvesters/machinery and bound up into the bales.I read this article in a "Farmers' weekly" type of publication,a while back

If I recall, the article,they(farmers' unions etc..) weren't calling for them to be banned but were asking for the frames to made of something that could biodegrade and/or be ingested by livestock,without any harm..

Just thought I'd stick my oar in.. ;-)

Chris

Big Momma - 2010-08-30 10:22 PM

And its the farmers that wrap their large round bales in big black plastic bin liners which ARE NOT bio-degradeable. I wonder just how concerned they are about what happens to the tons of this material *-)

Yes..they WRAP the bales in plastic!..:-S

..they DON'T spread it around the fields,chop it up into bits and then mix it in with bales,for their cattle to eat do they?!?.. *-)

The "biogradeable" point was to help go some way in making them less harmful,not to "The Planet"..but to their livestock!

(..This isn't about what does or doesn't go to landfill.. ;-) )

Hi,

yes I did witness an incident with fire, it resulted in within a very short space of time, the Fire Brigade being called out, an evacuation of a cottage located to the side of a field and an area of 30 metres of crop damage. So to all those who think it cannot happen - it can.

Just take care out there

Tony

Archived