Chinese Lanterns

tonyfletcher

pepe63 - 2010-08-30 8:25 PM

Hi everyone..as you'll see,this is my first post on this forum(so go easy on me !:$ )

..I felt the need to just say that I'm usually very much against too much health n safety " nannying",however in the case of these lanterns,there have apparently been cases of the wire frames ending up being ingested by cattle..They're not just eating them off the ground as such(..as pointed out earlier,they're not stupid ;-) ) but it seems the wire frames are getting chopped up by the harvesters/machinery and bound up into the bales.I read this article in a "Farmers' weekly" type of publication,a while back

If I recall, the article,they(farmers' unions etc..) weren't calling for them to be banned but were asking for the frames to made of something that could biodegrade and/or be ingested by livestock,without any harm..

Just thought I'd stick my oar in.. ;-)

Chris

This is the sales information from The Glow Company in Donsater the biggest dealer of chinese lanterns note what the Frame is made of

Traditional Chinese Flying Lanterns.

Send your Chinese Flying Lantern soaring to celebrate Weddings, Birthdays, Anniversaries, Halloween, Bonfire Night, Diwali or any other special event. It will fly for up to 20 minutes and can rise over a mile in the sky - where it will still be visible all around!

Traditionally used in Chinese and Thai celebrations, Chinese Flying Lanterns are a beautiful and fascinating way to light up the sky that’s becoming increasingly popular throughout the world for any kind of event.

Flying Lanterns are traditionally known as ‘Khom Fay’ or ‘Khom Loy’ in China and have been used for nearly two thousand years. It was believed that wishes written on lanterns would rise up to the heavens and come true.

The Sky Lantern is made from flame-retardant, 100% bio-degradable materials and the frame is made from Bamboo - a wood that is quickly replenished.

A quieter, gentler alternative to fireworks, flying lanterns are the safe, simple and perfect way to create an amazing visual display in the sky! These flying lanterns are very simple to set up, just follow the easy instructions on the back of the pack and you'll have your lantern up in the air in no time.

While they look phenominal, Chinese Flying Lanterns are only for adults because of the use of fire.

Safety instructions:

* Only use in very calm conditions.

* Only use in open spaces and not near to buildings.

* Not suitable for use by children under 16.

* Never use near airports, under flight paths, near pylons or overhead cables.

* Do not use near anything that may catch fire, such as dry crops or woodland.

* Keep a fire extinguisher or bucket of water nearby.

* This product is not a toy and should not be used by children.

* Do not tie anything or add any weight at all to the lantern.

* Do not use if you are under the influence of alcohol.

Guest Tracker

The real problem lies not with the lanterns but with people.

You only have to do a bit of people watching anywhere to realise how totally stupid, iresponsible and selfish a large percentage of our poulace have become.

Try reading the Darwin Awards for examples!

As for reading the instructions - unless it is on Facebook or a mobile phone many people would never even notice any instructions much less read and act on them?

I propose we sterilise at puberty all those with an IQ level too low to register as normal - I'll leave the definition of normal to someone else as I don't want to be contentious!

Meanwhile 'elfnsafety' do a great job - how else would you know that a river or a lake has 'deep water', or a cliff or a quayside has a 'steep drop' or that the sea can be 'dangerous'?

These things are not obvious to so many people and we have to rely on the good works of the EU and our own highly respected civil service and parliament to keep us all safe!

AND ANOTHER THING, just as we were getting to grips with the Plastic Carrier bag problem??? the sneaky Chinese start putting our take aways in plastic containers, my wife saves them and we now have a cupboard dedicate to the used containers AND have you tried finding the correct lid to fit one ??? :-o :-o :-o

vindiboy - 2010-08-31 9:34 PM

AND ANOTHER THING, just as we were getting to grips with the Plastic Carrier bag problem??? the sneaky Chinese start putting our take aways in plastic containers, my wife saves them and we now have a cupboard dedicate to the used containers AND have you tried finding the correct lid to fit one ??? :-o :-o :-o

(lol) (lol) ..I think we ended up with about 20 of the damned things..with what seemed like, 18 different shaped/sized lids! :-S )

..all of which seemed to rejoice in cascadeing out of the cupboard every time it was opened..! *-)

Tracker - 2010-08-31 10:42 AM

The real problem lies not with the lanterns but with people.

You only have to do a bit of people watching anywhere to realise how totally stupid, iresponsible and selfish a large percentage of our poulace have become.

Try reading the Darwin Awards for examples!

As for reading the instructions - unless it is on Facebook or a mobile phone many people would never even notice any instructions much less read and act on them?

I propose we sterilise at puberty all those with an IQ level too low to register as normal - I'll leave the definition of normal to someone else as I don't want to be contentious!

Meanwhile 'elfnsafety' do a great job - how else would you know that a river or a lake has 'deep water', or a cliff or a quayside has a 'steep drop' or that the sea can be 'dangerous'?

These things are not obvious to so many people and we have to rely on the good works of the EU and our own highly respected civil service and parliament to keep us all safe!

There's an IQ-related piece on:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQ_and_the_Wealth_of_Nations

with an interesting 'league table' of nations.

Not sure if you see your sterilisation-at-puberty idea applying worldwide or just to the UK. If the latter, then by, say, 2050, very few people will be participating on motorhome forums. ;-)

Archived