French strike

zeddykay

Heard about threatened French national strike Mon 8pm onwards for all of Tuesday. We are due to travel Dover Calais on Tues morning. Anybody got any details from French or other sources that may have more information. Travelling from North of England so we don't want to be caught up in massive disruption in the Dover area. Thanks for any advice

May see you there if there is a strike !! We are on the 13.45 P & O ferry from Calais on Tuesday.

I rang P & O who seemed a bit clueless and had'nt heard about a strike. I asked whether we would be told in advance but got the impression that you turn up and wait or get a refund.

Fingers crossed !!!

Hi,. I did a google search, and it seems that French news Sunday night are likely to report forthcoming weeks 'activities' and may include potential strike threats.

Also Euro news on Sky were reporting trouble in store for tuesday as a result of Sarkozy's attempts to send Roma folk back from whence they came (illegal immigrants and not registered in France so not employed/employable, therefore not paying taxes, but claiming benefits.... ) I wonder if our leaders are taking notice !!!!!!

Also France's civil servants are upset over clampdown on their pensions... seems they might have to work longer before collecting.... Heard that one somewhere else as well!!!

Tonyg3nwl

Guest JudgeMental
tonyg3nwl - 2010-09-05 3:22 PM

Also France's civil servants are upset over clampdown on their pensions... seems they might have to work longer before collecting.... Heard that one somewhere else as well!!!

Tonyg3nwl

Yes indeedy...I mean some of the poor things have to work until 50 until they can retire!(I kid you not) if you want to see whats wrong with the EU you need look no further then france *-)

JudgeMental - 2010-09-05 3:45 PM

Tonyg3nwl

Yes indeedy...I mean some of the poor things have to work until 50 until they can retire!(I kid you not) if you want to see whats wrong with the EU you need look no further then france *-)

No its the other way round Eddie. The people in France have got it right, in that they are fighting the proposed cuts unlike most people here who seem happy to roll over and accept retirement age rising to 70 and beyond, major cuts in education etc. So think should be happy to put up with a day or two of disruption in knowledge that in the end might benefit all of us in that some people here might see thatthese cuts can be stopped.

robertandjean - 2010-09-06 12:24 PM

JudgeMental - 2010-09-05 3:45 PM

Tonyg3nwl

No its the other way round Eddie. The people in France have got it right, in that they are fighting the proposed cuts unlike most people here who seem happy to roll over and accept retirement age rising to 70 and beyond, major cuts in education etc. So think should be happy to put up with a day or two of disruption in knowledge that in the end might benefit all of us in that some people here might see thatthese cuts can be stopped.

Eddie is right, 'Robertandjean", unless you know of any magical 'pot of gold'!!! How do you propose to pay for pensions and education?

The French public sector pensions liability will become a major problem in the Eurozone in te medium term. Talking to French entrepreneurs and small business people they are getting increasingly frustrated with what they see as the unreasonable demands of their public sector.

Doesnt hit the news but it seems the Germans have got it right -they are being fiscally prudent, raising retiremnt age and working hard to make things the world wants!!

whisturx - 2010-09-05 12:01 PM

May see you there if there is a strike !! We are on the 13.45 P & O ferry from Calais on Tuesday.

Fingers crossed !!!

We are booked on that one as well !

Rgds

PS Just to add that the last time the Public sector went on strike, the peages were free ! A welcome surprise after travelling down from Monauban to Perpignan !

Rgds

Archived