Renault traffic

Guest makka

Guest makka
I have recently looked over a Renault traffic hightop motorhome. I would like to know if the metal work above the windscreen is structural. The one I saw was in great condition, with the exception of the centre section of metal work above the windscreen where the high top met the bodywork, the rust was on the inside of the windscreen, in the cab. It looked fine from the outside, but as the rust was quite serious I was wondering if this section was structural and would need either plating or replacing. If it needs replacing can this be done without distrubing the hightop? Any answers gratefully received....thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jules
makka I brought a renault trafic 1987 holdsworth 9 months ago 37k very good condition .It was only after a cuople of months i noticed rust holes coming through above the windscreen.Closer inspection revealed it had been filled (not very well)also the windscreen base each corner had rust holes on the inside of the engine bay not terminal though.loads of waxoil and rust converter no more rust .it appears the windscreen seal had been letting in water and dirt widening the gap i cleaned it all out and resealed .As for the top i am going to strip it right back and fill with metal filler and coat inside with wax oil as it is on the flat part above seal .I believe it should be ok as the rest of the roof is fine and door pillars are rust free .I thought about welding but as you say it looks to be a quite complicated.Just a thought but ensure that drain holes at base of front wings under the head light is clear i noticed water dripping and could not find a leak .All run off from winscreen goes down these holes including muck which block the small holes .Mine had about about a litre of h20 each side luckily no damage .After all that its a fantastic van .Good luck if you find out any more let me know .

Archived