Portugal Campsites in May/June

mirage

Has anyone used ASCI sites in Portugal during late May to late June did you have any problems in getting pitches i.e. is it very busy or not.

Familiar with most areas in lower season, found this year fairly quiet in Germany Italy and France etc but have`nt been to Portugal.

Used ACSI sites for the last two years at that time, No problems ay all, in fact quiet empty Also a good site at Camping Albufeira, not acsi, but very good , They do good deals in May/June, bus stops right outside the camp

The Sagres and Lagos sites, are well off the beaten track though

PJay

I agree with PJay. Went last May and most sites had loads of space. In fact on one site we had it all to ourselves.

Don't limit yourself to ACSI sites as some of the municipals are really cheap. I remember Peniche as one of those at 5 euros a night including electricity. Not the best, but perfectly acceptable. There are loads of safe wild camping spots along the Atlantic coast with spectacular views over the rugged coastline.

The ACSI site that PJay mentioned near Lagos has a bus stop right outside to Lagos in one direction and Luz in the other. And it has free wifi. We found Sagres very bleak, the campsite was completely deserted and we didn't stay. Quarteira was one of only two busy(ish) sites, the other the municipal in Lisbon. Quarteira may be closed now, as there was talk of it being used for housing which is a shame.

Incidentally, we took the ferry from Plymouth to Santander and arrived in Tavira on the Algarve at 1pm the day after arriving at Santander. The road from Santander is excellent and is nearly all dual carriageway and I think the drive time was around 10 hours.

I'm sure you'll have a great time and you needn't worry about busy sites.

Roly

Archived