France, advice please.

Dancer

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The SatNav is great for ANY strange city, especially if you don't want to spend the rest of your life there. The reason is simple.

Within a city, direction signs only ever refer to local destinations WITHIN that city (suburbs, districts, or landmarks). You very rarely see, in the central area, any sign directing you towards ANOTHER city.

So your choices are:

a) a detailed street-plan plus a really good human navigator who you don't have to live with afterwards

b) take a guess, and probably emerge on exactly the wrong side of the city for your destination (even the sun is no use, due to one-way systems etc) or

c) use a SatNav.

Anyone still prefer to drive through strange cities without one?

But how did we do it before sat/nav Tony?

The problem now is the increase in traffic and the impatience and ignorance of the drivers not to give an inch. Courtesy went out the window years ago.

The Arch De Triumph is the hub with the main roads away from it the spokes, the rest is based loosely on a grid system.

Dave

nowtelse2do - 2010-09-30 10:02 AM

The problem now is the increase in traffic and the impatience and ignorance of the drivers not to give an inch. Courtesy went out the window years ago.

Dave

How did we do it before Sat Nav? I think you've answered your own question Dave, what with traffic increases and driver ignorance on the rise.You say, (with a smile I admit), that sat Nav is cheating, cheating who exactly? Ok, scrap that one. Perhaps you've donkeys years of driving experience and lots of motorhome driving experience too. Not everyone has, and those that do, may not have the wisdom for driving unaided around challenging locations like Paris.I don't mind admitting, (again) that Sat Nav bailed us out in Paris this year, my Missus is very good with maps, she works in logistics, so she should be but it beat her and I wasn't having any truck with a map in that situation when a click of a button does it for you.Right I'm done now :D Martyn

Martyn, I have nothing against sat/nav hence the smiley, everyone to their own and incidentally I don't own one but Christmas is around the corner and some little hints have been sent out to the children :-D

Yes, I,v close on 50yrs HGV driving (it used to be wagon driving) Continental and domestic. Started when I was 15 in the local quarries on dumpers and cranes, as soon as I was 21 went straight on the road (and never looked back :-D )

I hoped you noticed that I advised on 'NOT' going into Paris until they had experience of driving on the continent, that would be asking for trouble and I would still say a first trip to Brittany & Normandy would be a good first time taster. ;-)

Dave

nowtelse2do - 2010-09-30 10:02 AM

As a solo driver often driving long distances when in europe, satnav has proved a very useful tool for me. It's not totally foolproof but as long as you have the destination correct it WILL get you there no matter what and if using co-ords you do have to make sure every figure is 100% correct.

Pre-satnav I used to pour over the map, plot my route and write the road numbers and directions in my own 'shorthand' style on a sheet which i'd have stuck on the dashboard.

Pre-satnav I used to do just as Bulletguy did, and even now, when planning long routes, I'll still make a note of the main roads I should be on just in case we have diversions etc to deal with, especially if we're on our way back up to the vet and don't want to get adversely delayed.

The comment about French road signs has just reminded me - they tend to point in a daft way, so sometimes instead of obviously telling you to go straight on at a junction, they appear to point you left or right, however, they do tend to have a bit of an angle on them rather than be completely facing you. We've fallen for turning left/right before today when we should've gone straight on, and every now and then we have to do a double check, especailly if we're feeling brave and try to get to places without the help of the satnav! 8-)

Mel B - 2010-09-30 8:50 PM ..................The comment about French road signs has just reminded me - they tend to point in a daft way, so sometimes instead of obviously telling you to go straight on at a junction, they appear to point you left or right, however, they do tend to have a bit of an angle on them rather than be completely facing you. We've fallen for turning left/right before today when we should've gone straight on, and every now and then we have to do a double check, especailly if we're feeling brave and try to get to places without the help of the satnav! 8-)

That is because, dear Mel, 30 or more years back, when French road signs were more or less invariably set at about 1 metre above street level (so that the local ironmonger could hang his entire stock of doormats over them, and parked trucks and cars hid them completely), and comprised a concrete post and arrow shaped direction board, carrying an cream enamelled metal plate, with a blue border, showing road number and the name of, and distance to, the next town, also in blue, the direction arrow indicated the road to take, and not the direction to follow.  That is to say if the sign for Nancy (for example) was on the right side of the road as you approached a junction, and pointed to the left, it meant go straight on, the arrow indicating the road to Nancy, rather than  turn left for Nancy.  The new signs are a great improvement, if for no other reason than they prevent the ruddy ironmonger sticking his doormats over them!  :-)

Thank you very much ladies & gentlemen.

A most enjoyable read.

Paris it is then with Eeyore, a 24 foot 4.1 tonne A class, pulled by a Fiat 2.5 turbo.

Wish us luck.

Seriously, we don't yet know where we will end up. Initial thoughts are for Calais & then down towards the Ardenne , Alsace, & back via Paris..

Thanks again

Frank.

PS. Got a big dance competition in Blackpool in two weeks time. Wish us luck with that first please. We keep getting to the semi-finals, just need that little extra effort.

Guest JudgeMental
Dancer - 2010-10-03 11:05 PM

We keep getting to the semi-finals, just need that little extra effort.

Cocaine? :-S

Guest JudgeMental
BGD - 2010-10-04 12:31 PM

So what exactly is a big dance?

I never knew they had competitions for Big dances......but good luck with the extra effort - you'll find that amphetamine works a treat! (allegedly)

Naw..."The real thing" puts a spring in your step :D

Dancer - 2010-10-03 11:05 PM

Thank you very much ladies & gentlemen.

A most enjoyable read.

Paris it is then with Eeyore, a 24 foot 4.1 tonne A class, pulled by a Fiat 2.5 turbo.

Wish us luck.

Seriously, we don't yet know where we will end up. Initial thoughts are for Calais & then down towards the Ardenne , Alsace, & back via Paris..

Thanks again

Frank.

PS. Got a big dance competition in Blackpool in two weeks time. Wish us luck with that first please. We keep getting to the semi-finals, just need that little extra effort.

good luckbut judging by many recent threads - can't recommend you take eeyore with you on this trip :D

Archived