Flyscreens

Wingpete

Has anyone else suffered from "sagging" flyscreens ?

My Rapido is fitted with a big opening skylight over the cab. Great for light into the van and giives extra ventilation when the sun shines !

Since buying the van new in April 2008, the flyscreen has become a permanent failure.

When the vent is left open, the slightest breeze seems to cause it to sag , leaving it drooping away from the opening, and thus not keeping the flying insects out.

It has been replaced, but with like for like, hence problem returned.

It seems to me that the span of the opening is too much for the fabric mesh to maintian any rigidity to stay in place.

I have wondered about a couple of lightweight but rigid stabilisers placed across the width, to support the mesh in these situations.

Must be slim to fit the guides of course.

Any suggestions welcomed, as Rapido and Brownhills do not seem to have the answer, and warranty now expired.

Hi. I had a similar problem with our Hymer roof vent flyscreen, it kept dropping out of the side runners, I shrank it slightly by applying heat to it, I used my wife's hair dryer on slow fan speed but high heat, you could probably use a radiant fire instead, but don't melt the screen though. :-)

Brian B.

Hi Peter

There was an article recently regarding DIY changing Flyscreens, in one of the Magazines.

If my memory is correct it also replaced for a different mesh size.

S**s law, I can't find the article at the minute, but will keep a look out for it & if found will post details.

Thanks for replies. I have considered spraying the fabric with somethiing like clear lacquer, but reckon the folding action when closing it will break the lacquer stiffener. Rods or similar will need to be quite slim to allow the screen to fold away neatly, but there must be something like stiif alloy or carbon fibre rods somehwere. Glass fibre is usually too flexible methinks.

Archived