Camping Fridge

Guest Liz

I am looking to buy a camping fridge which will run on gas, does any one know how easy they are to light, just push a button? What sort of gas bottles to they take? I have been looking at the Ectrolux or weaco fridges. Thanks

Guest Frank Gordon
Leisure-vehicle fridges that can run on gas can normally run on 230V or 12V too - that’s why they are termed 3-way fridges. Way back in time, lighting the gas-burner involved a taper (ie. a long match). This was superseded by push-button (piezo) ignition, as used on many domestic gas fires, and this method continues to be employed today at the budget end of the fridge market. Later development brought 12V 'electronic' gas ignition (via a simple switch and powered by the vehicle's battery) which was more convenient and allowed automatic gas re-ignition in the event of the gas-flame blowing out in very windy weather. Sophisticated current-model fridges ignite the gas automatically when gas operation is selected, while 'smart' fridges (like Dometic's AES models) can also choose their source of power automatically from gas, 12V, 230V or solar-panel alternatives. Truth is, whatever method is used to light the gas, its effectiveness and ease of operation will depend on the fridge being in good working order and being operated according to the fridge-manufacturer's instructions. So, if a fridge is badly maintained or is badly out of level, then there's a good chance the gas won't light. Otherwise gas-ignition (whatever the technical method used) should present no difficulties. Leisure-vehicle (caravan, motorhome etc.) 3-way fridges use LPG (Liquefied Petroleum Gas). This can be butane or propane or 'autogas' (a mixture of mostly propane plus some butane). Butane or propane is available in exchangeable bottles in varying sizes (Calor is the main player in the UK) but UK-sourced bottles are not exchangeable abroad (and vice versa). "Campingaz" bottles are the exception to this rule, being available in the UK and most parts of Europe. However, Campingaz canisters are relatively small and expensive and, as the gas in them is butane, unsuitable for use in freezing weather. Autogas is cheap and available from a large number of service-stations ("petrol-stations" as we used to call them) but your leisure-vehicle would need to be fitted with a refillable tank or refillable-bottle system to take advantage of this. Dometic (previously Electrolux) is the biggest manufacturer of leisure-vehicle fridges that can operate on gas, but Thetford (better known for toilets) also make them. I believe you will find that Waeco only manufacture compressor fridges that operate on 12V/24V, but not on LPG or 230V. The LPG side of a leisure-vehicle is a big subject (as is fridges), particularly when it comes to safety. For more information, I recommend "The Caravan Manual", or "The Motorcaravan Manual" (both from Haynes Publishing) that you'll find on many library shelves.

Archived