Chilean Mine Rescue.

howie

The rescue borehole is expected to reach the 33 miners trapped for almost 2 months underground today and if all goes to plan the first man will be winched up to safety on Monday. Followed this with great interest and just hoping and praying it,s a complete success. Going to be pretty emotional when these guys finally meet up again with they're loved one's, so finger's crossed and let's wish them all the best.

I'm just hoping that that don't ' rush it ' now.

Seems to have gone well so far so lets hope they continue to put safety first and don't cut any corners at the last minute.

They must be under a lot of pressure to release the men as soon as possible.

Don't think that's going to be a problem Malc and even their own families have asked that the rescue procedure is double checked before any attempt is made. One area of anxiety is deciding whether the shaft needs lining to protect the rescue capsules from the rock sides of the shaft. Only 26" in diameter and more than 600 yards to travel down, so it's got to be spot on and a few more days won't hurt.

Guest JudgeMental

its only the upper area that may need lining as fairly loose...Lower section (most of it) rock apparently.

Yes a nice story, and shows what can be achieved if prepared to work together

expect an American Hollywood movie version coming some time soon *-)

When news of the trapped miners first broke I was pleasantly surprised to find that the safety record in Chile is actually pretty good.

They also must realise that this accident has brought a massive amount of instant media attention and quite literally the eyes of the world are watching this event with hope and prayer.

Chile cannot afford to make any mistakes in getting all 33 men out alive, but the Chilean mining engineers certainly seem very competent, capable and know exactly what they are doing. I have every faith they will succeed.

JudgeMental - 2010-10-09 12:57 PM

its only the upper area that may need lining as fairly loose...Lower section (most of it) rock apparently.

Yes a nice story, and shows what can be achieved if prepared to work together

expect an American Hollywood movie version coming some time soon *-)[/quote

Certainly has all the makings of a good movie, and no doubt the location will mysteriously turn out to be Pensylvania with an all American cast, but lets get those guys out first and quibble over mere details later.

Anyone been watching this miracle unfold today?

When I first switched on they had six miners out and about to lift the seventh. Each ascent through what amounts to travelling up 622 metres of 'drain' takes approx 20 minutes.

The oldest miner at 62 has been working in mining for fifty years! So he first went down a mine as a 12 year old child.

Not only have these men spent the longest ever time underground by any human, the entire operation has been a phenomenal feat of engineering never done before at such a depth. Literally ground breaking!

Here is a live link;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2010/oct/13/chilean-miners-rescue-live-coverage

LordThornber - 2010-10-13 12:15 PM

It's amazing stuff to watch, real emotion being poured out before your eyes.

I won't deny having a lump or 2 in my throat.

Martyn

Same here.

It's brought the attention of the world to Chile and shown all of us what can be achieved. Absolutely brilliant.

Pity Russia could not have swallowed their stubborn pride when the Kursk sank with over 100 men on board. That was only fifty metres down.

My thoughts are with them all - miners and families - their joy is really wonderful to behold - I just hope they get all the support they will need in future as after such an ordeal the stress will be huge. What a tribute to the human survival spirit B-)

Guest JudgeMental

well it took American technology, led by an American team to do this (they have drills that can drill at an angle) Thought I would slip that in for the anti USA brigade...Please Note AMERICAN not French :D

Lovely interview with head of US drilling team during the week, where he said it is the high point in his career, and had never experienced anything like this in his life......a memorable occasion indeed :-D

Thankfully everthing is going very well, hope it continues until all the Miners are back on the surface.

Listening to the BBC coverage, it sounds as if the only problem the miners had to moan about was the "professional" advise given to them by the Psychologists.

Ironic.

Hi,

Nice to see the recue is a success and that they are happily reunited with their families.

My farther in law was a miner and he was trapped twice in roof falls, he has been on a knife edge worrying if they would be rescued.

His thoughts and prayers are not only for the Chilean miners but also for the families who lost loved ones here in this country when 324 miners lost there lives in the lofthouse disaster by drowning and floated out of the mine.

We are indeed a lucky lot - just one generation away from the 'pits'.

My dad went down the mines from school. Luckily (for him, anyway), war broke out and he joined up, became an engineer and never looked back.

A lucky escape.

I take my hat off to anyone who is prepared to work underground (or under the sea) for a living...

JudgeMental - 2010-10-13 2:59 PM

well it took American technology, led by an American team to do this (they have drills that can drill at an angle) Thought I would slip that in for the anti USA brigade...Please Note AMERICAN not French :D

Naturally.

I wonder if they'd have been so quick off the mark had the same thing happened in some obscure little country with no abundance of mineral wealth on offer? ;-)

Archived