New Motorhome

Hawcara

Hawcara - 2010-10-19 1:54 PM

Without being too nosey, what is a reasonable quote for motorhome cover? *-)

I'm sure before you wrote the above that you knew there was no generic answer. Age, van value, postcode blah blah blah all are factors, you know that of course.

That said, I've been poking my nose in on here for a long while and had motorhome insurance for 11 years so here goes.

I've never as far as I can remember, seen figures on here above £500 or under £200. I do remember one guy encouraging folk to contact the co-op as they insured his van for something like £80, I'd loved to have read the policy though.

So my answer to your impossible question is £350. Just watch for the avalanche coming my way :D

Martyn

Again thank you for your input.

As a general question how do people insure?

Let me explain.

Before the motorhome we had a caravan. We toured the UK and went abroad once a year. Thus we had Green Flag breakdown for UK (mostly for the caravan) and bought red pennant (recovery and travel insurance) for the 2 weeks abroad.

With this motorhome caper, breakdown abroad and UK seems to be included.

Thus do people pay for cover this way (ie breakdown and add travel insurance). Alternatively do I insure in the standard way, buy Green Flag for UK and then Red Pennant? I dont want to be doubly insured and thus waste money.

I hope this makes sense.

8-) 8-) 8-)

Yes it makes sense, some folk do the package, breakdown included. That's what I used to have.

Some will have it separate as some companies are better value. I changed insurer a couple of years back and the European cover was separate to the policy (i.e. extra but sold to me by the insurer) but was still better value.

Some will just buy a policy and then source Euro (and UK possibly) breakdown cover from another provider.

Some folk won't need it of course as they don't leave the UK.

It's about what suits you best and which is best value. It's a case of shopping around, that said, for the sake of £20 or £30 I cannot be bothered to change.

Hope this helps.

Martyn

Hawcara - 2010-10-19 1:54 PM

Without being too nosey, what is a reasonable quote for motorhome cover? *-)

If you can get hold of a June 2010 copy of Practical Motorhome, they did a survey based on two Insurance scenarios across 23 Insurance providers & listing the main elements of cover.

They also give a checklist to follow.

OOI

Safeguard were the most expensive for scenario 1 & 2nd most expensive for scenaio 2.

Comfort lowest for scenario 1, expensive for scenario 2.

Range of quotes

Scenario 1 = £162.00 to £574.25

Scenario 2 = £189.00 to £811.48

As Martyn said it will all depend on the level of cover & what your requirements are, plus location, value of motorhome, etc., etc..

Editted to add

Full timing was not covered by the scenarios.

LordThornber - 2010-10-19 3:26 PM

Some will just buy a policy and then source Euro (and UK possibly) breakdown cover from another provider.

Martyn

One thing that can affect this is how many people and what vehicles you wish to cover with breakdown cover.

I have always assumed (someone will now tell me in error 8-) ) that the breakdown cover that comes bundled with insurance is for the insured vehicle only.

I choose to insure the motorhome without breakdown cover, and then buy personal-based breakdown cover that covers two of us separately in ANY vehicle (and yes it does cover the motorhome) since I need to cover three vehicles. Effectively, I get the motorhome cover free that way.

As Martyn says, horses for courses.

So, never make assumptions!  :-D  Comfort, for one, offers insurance without breakdown cover, with, or an enhanced version that covers a second (specified) vehicle.  Both flavours of breakdown cover are, to all intents and purposes, RAC Europe cover, and include homestart etc and I think (can't check at present), at least in the "top of the range" version, cover the insured in any other vehicle not belonging to him/her or driven by him/her.  An enquiry may be worthwhile.

Archived