Taking our dog to Spain

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

We intend going to Spain for the New Year and are taking Troy with us. I was wondering how dog friendly Spain is? Do they allow dogs in restaurants for example.

Also has anyone visited The Alhambra, this is somewhere we both want to go and see but I am a bit worried about having to leave Troy in the van as I am presuming they won't allow dogs in.

Any advice would be most grateful.

Sue

spain unlike france not dog frendly we have done it 4 winters with our dog & never seen one in a restarant we all ways walk ours bed her down & leave tv or radio an low never had any problem .some sites have signs dogs not to be left as long as you know how your dog behaves no problem . one law spain dogs should have a restant when onthe move & it can carry 90 e fine this a fact not ear say .lots of campers take there pets with them

tommydud - 2010-10-19 8:39 PM

spain unlike france not dog frendly we have done it 4 winters with our dog & never seen one in a restarant we all ways walk ours bed her down & leave tv or radio an low never had any problem .some sites have signs dogs not to be left as long as you know how your dog behaves no problem . one law spain dogs should have a restant when onthe move & it can carry 90 e fine this a fact not ear say .lots of campers take there pets with them

I consider the UK to be dog friendly and have never seen a dog in a restaurant!!

Like France, there is no problem taking a dog to a restaurant in Spain - as long as you sit outside.

Guest pelmetman

Suppose you are right can't take dogs in restaurants in GB but we regularly take him into pubs and have a meal. Mind you he is very well behaved more so than a lot of children I've come across in restaurants.

Don't think it'll be warm enough in January to sit outside :'(

Sue

Depends where you go! We sat outside last January with our dog in Southern Spain. I also wore my shorts for most days.

We have been three times with our dog, a cocker Spaniel, and never had a problem once. We've never asked to take her in a restaraunt or cafe, but have just sat outside and it's never been questioned. Some shops, but not supermarkets are ok too.

The Alhambra has a website so you could get a definate answer from there. We left her in the van on the site with the aircon on and she was OK If you don't have aircon, be careful it does get hot in Granada, even in January and if the sun is on the van it will get hot quite quickly.

Spain and France are more dog friendly than here in my opinion. Although they don't like big dogs out without leads and muzzles in some towns. There doesn't seem to be a "national law" about this, but is just what the local mayor/police decide is the policy.

I am sorry Tommydud but I did not understand the sentence about the 90€ fine.

To answer the question I have taken my dog in Spanish restaurants. I always ask out of courtesy but have never been refused. Likewise in shops but she is a bitch - I think shopkeepers are more wary of dogs!

Guest pelmetman

Thank you for all your replies.

Sorry Tommydud I wasn't sure what you meant either. However, on reading it again this morning wondering if you were saying that dogs have to be restrained when travelling? Does anyone else know if this is so.

Sue

Hi

When we took our Black Lab (not a hot country colour) we always arranged for a shady pitch (all the camp sites were very accomodating) then, when going to places like Granada, opened the roof vents wide, drew the window blinds to keep out the sun, and left her in the van.

She was never over heated, indeed, the van always felt nice and cool.

We have done this all over Europe and she just sleeps (its what labradors do!).

Also, when weather is very hot, i try and give a good long walk in the cool of early morning so she gets her excercise.

Regards

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Driving up through the "Valle del Jerta" today (west of Madrid and lovely but 1313m at the top of the valley) and were pulled over for a routine police spot check.

Pleasant cop, asked for documents which we handed over but when the dog wandered up between the seats to see who was at the window he did firmly indicate that the dog should be in the back. Just as well he (dog) was not having a ride on the passengers lap at the time or sounds like we could be E90 poorer!

Kev, Jackie and Bramble

ps stopped at Avila now, bigger walled city than Carcassone and spectacular.

It is worth reading up on, there are a few laws that you could fall foul of.

Such as:-

Certain dogs need to be muzzled and registered at the town hall (90 Euro)

All dogs must be on a lead

Dogs must be restrained in the vehicle

A yearly rabies injection is required

Like many things in Spain, things are pretty relaxed about laws, but if things go wrong expect the full force of the law to be used, the Police will throw the book at you.

The law can vary from place to place, each state goverment making their own rules and laws.

the Police would probably make alllowances for "el Ingles" since it is well known in Spain that the English have certain strange mental processes.

It is widely believed that this is due to living on an island in isolation for many generations.

I would suggest that a dog on a lead, not regarded as "dangerous" (they have a list) and not prone to barking at everything in sight will be welcome everywhere, unless the law says otherwise (some beaches, puplic parks, swimming areas, food shops, etc.,)

Hallii

I am sure that you are only trying to be helpful Geof but equally sure that some of these laws only pertain to residents in Spain and could be quite off-putting for visitors e.g. registering the dog at a cost of €90. I have visited Spain for several years now with my dog on its firstly bi-annual and later tri-annual rabies vaccination and have never been stopped or questioned. As far as I know the Pet Passport is valid in the EU although some countries, for example France as well, insist on annual vaccinations for residents but these stricter rules do not apply to the British visitors.

• 1 month later...

Archived