Best screen position

urbanracer

I have just exchanged my rear lounge motorhome with a large back window and large windows each side for a motorhome with only a tiny rear window.

So on my new van I need a rear camera but I cannot make up my mind whats the best position for the screen over the existing rear view mirror or located on the right hand side of the dash.

I also want to use the camera while driving to see whats behind.

Mine is fitted drivers side as far to right as possible. However I do not use it for driving, just for keeping an eye on my scooter and sometimes reversing. I to have a very small, high, rear window but find in general no problem just using the wing mirrors. My camera in any case points down to show the rear of the van and only a couple of mtrs back so would be useless for following traffic unless they were very close. I also found having it switched on all the time was a real distraction so just switch on occasionally to check all is well.

Guest JudgeMental
I will be getting one on our next van. I dont really mind if mounted on reversing mirror or dash. But if dash mounted I would want it to be removable? to prevent break ins where it might be mistaken for a sat nav......

JudgeMental - 2010-10-22 11:21 AM I will be getting one on our next van. I dont really mind if mounted on reversing mirror or dash. But if dash mounted I would want it to be removable? to prevent break ins where it might be mistaken for a sat nav......

I think that the mirror mounted jobs are far better than dash mounted. More secure cos its not obvious and you dont have orrible oles or sticky stuff on yer nice shiney dashboard.

I do not have a rear window in my van. Have positioned the screen over the interior mirror - a more natural position.

The camera will flip up to show the road behind to show following traffic or flip down to act as a reversing camera.

This is necessary because the Ford external mirrors even though they are on long arms do not show clearly what is behind.

I would agree with Rupert123's observations on having it on the far RHS (providing you have RHD !)

Its a lot easier to use the exterior mirror and screen in roughly same arc of movement of the head, maybe just move the eyes to use it after using the door wing mirror before looking forward again.

That was the position in lor last motorhomes, The current M/home, the screen is part of the display of a double din fixig where the radio is in the centre consule. Its a real pain to have to look down onto the screen from either mirror when reversing and the head and eyesight bobs about !

That said, it it no real surprise to see a car behind me, in the cameras view, and completely blind to either wing mirror.

Rgds

I would agree with Rupert123's observations on having it on the far RHS (providing you have RHD !)

Its a lot easier to use the exterior mirror and screen in roughly same arc of movement of the head, maybe just move the eyes to use it after using the door wing mirror before looking forward again.

That was the position in lor last motorhomes, The current M/home, the screen is part of the display of a double din fixig where the radio is in the centre consule. Its a real pain to have to look down onto the screen from either mirror when reversing and the head and eyesight bobs about !

That said, it it no real surprise to see a car behind me, in the cameras view, and completely blind to either wing mirror.

Rgds

ips - 2010-10-22 11:03 AM

I fitted one of these

http://www.parkingcameras.com/store/product.php?productid=46&cat=6&page=1&featured

And have had no problem in fact it has proven to be a very good system.

Ive got this system fitted to my new swift bolero , its a brilliant idea and it works well for me , it can be used just as a reversing aid or on all the time , it also acts as a rear view mirror but ive got a very small rear window so that doesnt work for me .

JudgeMental - 2010-10-22 11:21 AM

I will be getting one on our next van. I dont really mind if mounted on reversing mirror or dash. But if dash mounted I would want it to be removable? to prevent break ins where it might be mistaken for a sat nav......

Mine acts as a TV as well but I chuck a sunhat over it.

I had my screen fitted in place of the rear view mirror which now sits in a cupboard. As I drive solo and do many miles on the continent I keep mine on all the time so that I can monitor traffic behind me and be ready for them to overtake. It obviously is a boon to me too when overtaking. However, mine is static and does not flip. It was fitted by Dave - a wellknown contributor to this forum.

If you intend to use it as a rear view mirror while driving along I would suggest you replace the existing rear view mirror with the monitor. Wiring can be brought down from the cab roof and into the monitor easily and it looks tidy. It is also much safer from thieves.

If it is mounted on the dash, chances are you will have sat-nav, mobile phone holder, fan(?) and then the Rear View Monitor, you will spend more time looking at the dash than you will the road! It will also take you ages to remove everything out of site every time you stop!

If it is where the mirror is usually, it is automatic reaction to glance there periodically to see what's behind you.

I have mine there, permanantly fixed and without any problem from vibrations etc. It's also too far away from someone reaching in the door/window and pinching it

Mike

Archived