Gas for Swift Rapide

Guest Tony Irwin

Guest Tony Irwin
Hello I'm a new owner of a Swift Rapide 400x4 1992 model. (And pretty ignorant of caravanning ways!) I noticed in the compartment for Gas a notice saying LPG. Is that the same as calor gas? Also, does anyone what size gas bottle I shoould get? (I know I could measure the compartment, but at the moment the caravan's on a site many miles away, and I want to take Gas up when I next go there!) Many thanks Tony

Guest Frank Gordon
LPG stands for Liquified Petroleum Gas and, where leisure vehicles are concerned, the LPG employed is either butane or propane. Calor is the UK's largest supplier of exchangeable gas-cylinders, employing a blue bottle for butane and a red/orange bottle for propane. Calor bottles come in a range of sizes (see www.calor.co.uk) and caravanners, due to weight considerations and a tendency not to winter-camp, usually use the smallest two butane cylinders, either 4.5kg or 7kg capacity. However, a Calor 4.5kg bottle uses a screw-on regulator-connector, while a Calor 7kg bottle uses a clip-on connector. (And, if your caravan's previous owner has chosen to use propane, Campingaz, or non-Calor butane exchangeable bottles, there will be further differences.) So it ain't quite that simple! Every caravanning beginner should get hold of a copy of "The Caravan Manual" (Haynes Publishing) for invaluable general background. It would also be helpful if you could find someone experienced to give you a crash course on the basics and perhaps hold your hand when you next visit your 'van.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tony Irwin
Frank Many thnaks for your reply. Got the manual and it looks very good. Also spent some time reading the owners manual and getting everything sorted out: so now I have all utilities working! Thanks again Tony

Archived