Electrolux Fridge Model RM2300, down here in Aus.

Guest John Gibling.

Guest John Gibling.
Hi All, I posted this message to "Frank" but it looks like I should have posted it on the "New Messages " page. I am new to this site so just getting a feel for it. Here is the message I sent to Frank and hoping someone can help. Frank. I read with interest your comments on the Electrolux 3 way Fridge. I have an Electrolux 3 way Fridge, Model RM 2300, Purchased in 1986, here in Aus. I still have the paperwork and it looks like it was built in Sweeden, so I guess some of these probably found their way across the channel. To my problem. I havn't used the Caravan, and fridge for about 6 years. When last used the fridge worked fine on 12v, 240v, and LPG. Yesterday, I powered it up on 240v for some hours and NOGO. Did not cool at all. The van was not quite level, so today I got it exactly level and started the LPG burner. The burner ran fine but the fridge very quickly, within 1~2 minutes, started making a bubbling noise which I had never heard before during all the trips I have been on so it didn't sound normal to me. I left it for an hour or so to see what wood happen. The bubbling sound continued and there was absolutely no cooling. I turned off the LPG and after about 5 Min, the bubbling sound stopped. I powered up the 240V and the bubbling sound returned. I guess the refrigerant is boiling and that is what I am hearing but it doesn't sound right to me. Hoping you can assist.

Guest Frank Gordon
You could try the upside-down treatment (see Iain's fridge posting of 27/03/2005) Fridges (especially old ones) like regular use. If the refrigerant hasn't leaked out - and the bubbling suggests some is still in there - you've got a sporting chance of success.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest John Gibling
Frank. Thanks for the advice. I gave it my best shot but unfortunately, NOGO. I removed the fridge, roled it over, upsidedown, rightside up, 4 times, then left it upsidedown for 1 hour. Didn't have time to leave it upside down for 4 days. Powered it up. At first I thouhgt I had a winner as it sounded different but after about 10 min it sounded the same. I left it on for about 4 days and still NOGO at which time I decided to save the electricity. I found the receipt for the fridge. It was purchased in 1986, so that is 19 years ago now. So I guess age and leaving it off for 6 years has done it in. Anyway. I have cleaned the Caravan up and now placed it on Ebay for AUS$1300 which is about Eng Pounds 560 (Sorry, no Pound symbol on this PC). I recon if the fridge had been working I would have got AUS$1500 easy. The van is a Viscount Supreme 15', 1969 Model. anyway. Thanks again.

Archived