gearbox leak X250

graementl

Anybody had problems with filler plug on 2.3 Ducato gearbox working loose and few drops of tell tale oil on driveway? Apparently this is the problem with mine, 2009 model, which had worked loose twice in six months. Dealer has now applied a sealant to stop it working loose. Seems strange to me but wondered if a common(ish) issue but see nothing in previous threads.

Hello,

Not a problem we have encountered, at least with the drain plug.

The screws are just a damned stupid idea in the first place. The old Ducato before 2002 had spring clips and they worked just fine.

You do not need to have standing water to corrode steel screws. The under-bonnet environment is a highly corrosive condensation trap that rarely gets warm enough to completely dry out when used infrequently.

We put a dab of battery terminal grease on the heads of the screws when new. It helps.

Nick

Glad I read these posts today, as I checked the air filter housing on my 13 month old 3 litre Ducato, and 3 of the 4 screws were very rusty. I replaced them all with stainless steel ( just in time for one of the screws!). Please be wary if you use ss screws that you don't let a garage change your air filter in future as the ss screw heads are softer than the hardened steel screw heads you replace, and the average mechanic is likely to chew up the heads !! *-)

euroserv - 2010-10-27 10:07 AM

Hello,

Not a problem we have encountered, at least with the drain plug.

The screws are just a damned stupid idea in the first place. The old Ducato before 2002 had spring clips and they worked just fine.

You do not need to have standing water to corrode steel screws. The under-bonnet environment is a highly corrosive condensation trap that rarely gets warm enough to completely dry out when used infrequently.

We put a dab of battery terminal grease on the heads of the screws when new. It helps.

Nick

Good point Nick and I totally agree. I just thought that motorhome owners might like to know about this potential issue. The motorhome in question the other day was a Hymer A class and access was particularly difficult leaving absolutely no room to get a normal drill in to drill the head off the worst screw so I suggested he take it up with Fiat before his warranty runs out next month.

D.

Archived